New international airport in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what's the best way to get to Belize from Cancun wihout flying? Going out to Playa del Carmen, changing bus stations, then changing buses again at the border sounds like too much of a baggage-lugging ordeal to me. And takes 8 hours or so...Is there a better bus, maybe right from Cancun airport? How much? To where?
And/or have any of you gone to Chetumal, without a lot of bus changing, and from there to Ambergris Caye by boat?

The best way I have done it is when i travelled from San Pedro to Cancun:

Got the flight to Corozal (but could get boat or now I will get boat to Chetumal)
Bus to Playa del Carmen - stayed there for a night
Then bus to Cancun.

Coming back I have stayed in Chetumal. Obviously it depends on the timing of ur flights but when i stayed in Playa it was lovely, right near the beach and I had a few hours to kill in the morning before my bus.

Staying in Chetumal was not as nice! but im sure u could find nicer hotels than i stayed in.

All in all it is soo simple getting the buses to cancun. They are nice buses too with a/c and movies (although in spanish) and nice enough seats. I was surprised but how easily the journey went,especially as a lone female.

Thanks! Hmm, if staying in PC is unavoidable, now I'm thinking we may even want to stay two nights there then, and throw in a cenote dive or two!

I always fly to and from cancun and have just found flights with mexicana that go from cancun via mexico city straight to london gatwick!

Sounds nice, but London is one of the parts of Europe, which is far away from all other points of europe. So Nobody will DRIVE to London (from Austria you have to drive around 3000km through Germany, on the Island and then to London), so everybody will take a plane, cause nearly every European City got a Airplane. So you fly from maybe Austria to London, France, Italy or Spain, Then you take take the next Plane to the States or to Mexico. If landing in U.S.A, you have to take the Next Plane to Miami and then to Belize. If landding in Mexico, you can go by Plane or by Bus.

So I can Understand, that most if the europeans say, that the way to Belize is so hard, cause everytime you change the plane, you've to to this airport policy stuff like check in, immigration, custom, whatever - if necessary or not - It's stress, so they fly to Spain, Mallorca, Gran Canaria or whatever, but not to Belize.

Let's see what the airport might Change.... :idk:

well i've found is pretty impossible if using public buses to get from cancun to san pedro in a day. u'll have to stay a night somewhere along the way. but playa del carmen is nice.

Do you mean that? If I've flown from Britain it's too late to complete my journey to Belize that day and I'm bushed anyway, so I first book my bus to Chetumal (usually I take the 9:30 one) then check into my hotel, and go off and enjoy the sights and sounds of Playa. Not forgetting the Italian ice cream parlour on 5th Avenue (the pedestrian road close to the sea that is the "main drag" - the best I know outside Italy). The following day I leave Playa at 9:30am, catch the 3:30 plane from Corozal and I'm in San Pedro by 4pm. Timings vary slightly with season, as Mexico operates daylight saving time and Belize doesn't, but that only serves to increase or decrease the slack time in the Playa-Chetumal leg.

Of course, now there's the option of boating to San Pedro direct from Chetumal. I haven't tried that and don't have a feel for how the timings would work. It's quite a long boat ride so there's a good chance that travelling towards Belize I'd still choose to fly from Corozal.

peter, I think you should stop flying and just stay here to drink your guiness :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom