New James Cameron movie..."Sanctum"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well. I have not looked into the "based on a true story part." I hope that much of it is real because if not, it was pretty cheese. I really love diving and rebreathers fascinate me to no end, but I see no need to watch this one again or get the DVD.

Back in the 80's the Screen Writer of the movie, an avid cave diver, and a group of other divers, including Wes Skiles got trapped in a cave in Australia when a tropical down pour dumped 3-5 ft of rain in 20 mins. The cave was much like the one depicted in the movie. That scene where the rock fell and blocked the exit actually happened and that is how the real group got trapped. The writer went on his own and found another way out and got the rest of the team rescued. Everyone survived and Wes got it all on film. Also happened to a group in Mexico a few years back. Wes was on the rescue team.

Yeah I read up on it after I posted. I remember hearing about it a while back because if I remember correctly it Is all pretty well doocumented as plenty of cameras were already on scene.
I really found the story line a bit cheesie. If no for camerons name on it I would have expected this to be a made for tv or straight to DVD movie. The story line and character development was very poor.

The based on a true story part is very very loose. When you make a movie this unbelievable, it better be because it actually happened.

Once again, just my two sense.

Thankfully, I went with the dive buddies, as this film is not wife-compatible in my house. Poor wifey would *NOT* get in the water again after seeing it.

On a selfish note, my quest to dive a breather would be finished if she saw it.

Man I am really bummed about this now. This movie was not good and the more I read about it the more I realize it is not jut me who thinks so. Rotting tomatoes pretty much sums it up. The positive reviews are the ones who walked into it as a B movie. :(

I guess in the end I would have seen it anyway with the subject and name Cameron attached. Read some of the reviews and decide for yourself.

I am still bummed about how bad this movie was. It felt like a cheap rip off of 127 hours. They could have made a much more dramatic and powerful movie by keeping all of the actors on the loop and not talking!

I liked the movie on one level, I thought it was a good action adventure movie, if a bit formulaic. The movie is one where you have to suspend disbelief as with a lot of adventure fiction.

On the other hand, I think that the 3D, while pretty good, is displacing great story telling. The special effects seem to take over in this movie as a substitute for not much of a plot development, relying on furmula instead. Some movies, such as the Guardian, can get away with this as the character is interesting.

It reminds me of the second episode of Star Wars, the Empire Strikes back, where the special effects really displaced the story telling.

I saw it in 3D. I am glad I did not spring for the extra $7 to see it at the IMAX.

I'm up for a movie about cave diving, though storywise it looks like The Poseidon Adventure in a cave. Which kind of dates me, huh?

You hit the mark with the Poseidon Adventure analogy. I am from the same era. I thought the same thing as I left the movie.

There's got to be a morning after.

These actors look a little better than Shelley Winters doing the breath hold swim though

I didn't expect the movie to be a Canne nominee or an Oscar winner. It's a pretty damn good adventure movie with some cool diving scenes.

My 2 Cents......

Wait 'til it comes out on DVD or rent at the Big Red Box. Sanctum was a STRANGE movie to say the least.The 3-D part was good for the first 1/2 of the movie then the 3-D part was BLAH!! This movie isn't a family friendly movie nor a movie for newbie divers to experience the "THRILL/LOVE" of diving! And it sure doesn't end with an uplifting feeling. My feeling was, I wasted my time for this? UUGGHHH!!!!!!!

I paid the extra $ to see it in IMAX 3-D. What a waste of money.

Ugh! Just got home from the movie. Should've kept my money in a sanctum instead of wasting it on that p.o.s. The movie should be re-named...changed from Sanctum to Rectum.:mooner:

At least some characters could have died heroically. Maybe they could have found really cool crystal rooms, haloclines, artifacts, fossils, or incorporated badass scootering..perhaps some intrigue, romance, but no. Just a lame version of the Poseiden Adventure in a cave.
My wife has been so pumped on diving lately...planning trips to Palau, Wakatobi, Bali. She was horrified by the flick. She said her dreams about diving are now nightmares.:shocked2:

James Cameron may have conquered the world with Avatar, but he completely blew it with Sanctum.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom