New Mask Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any help is appreciated,
I have been going through my dive gear and noticed that the silicone on my mask is yellowing, it is 3 years old. It still seems very flexible, but I wouldn't mind having a new mask anyway. When I bought my first mask I was new to diving and took what the LDS threw at me and happily paid my $59.00, but now I would like some info on masks. What's better High volume, Low volume? Single window, double window? Black surround, clear surround? I expect to pay somewhere between $59 and $90. I wear contacts and do fine with them while wearing a mask. I know that I don't want a purge valve and I can clear my mask quite easily now. Any preferences???

Hi Trever,

May I know what mask you are currently using? Also masks are really personal and I would recommend that you try on a few at the local LDS.

I would however, recommend a low volume mask (easier to clear and doesn't make you face float upwards), black skirt (personal preference) and single window.

Personally I'm using a Tusa Viewtrek and an Oceanic Shadow as my backup and both are fine masks.

Other reviews can be found on these links:
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/masks2004/index.shtml
http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/masks_and_snorkels

Cheers,

SangP

Btw, you might also consider the new mask from Atomics which are very new:
http://www.atomicaquatics.com/vision.html

Well, so much is personal preference, but in my opinion, a low volume, black skirt mask is they way to go.

Low volume is easier to clear and it keeps the lense(s) close to your face, improving vision. Black skirt focuses your eyes forward and eliminates reflections on the lense(s). Single or double lense is up to you.

I personally use a Scubapro Frameless. Its comfy, seals well and it looks cool.

Be sure to try on your mask before you buy it!!

definetly low volume. the smaller the mask the better.

as for colors, that's really a personal preference. i like black. not sure why,
just "feels" better underwater. never did get used to a clear skirt.

the Shadow (Dive Rite) low volume mask is my favorite. their
fancy name for it is the Tec Sea Vision 2500:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/fins/maskshadow.shtml

Trever:
Any help is appreciated,
I have been going through my dive gear and noticed that the silicone on my mask is yellowing, it is 3 years old. It still seems very flexible, but I wouldn't mind having a new mask anyway. When I bought my first mask I was new to diving and took what the LDS threw at me and happily paid my $59.00, but now I would like some info on masks. What's better High volume, Low volume? Single window, double window? Black surround, clear surround? I expect to pay somewhere between $59 and $90. I wear contacts and do fine with them while wearing a mask. I know that I don't want a purge valve and I can clear my mask quite easily now. Any preferences???

As I wear glasses I have a low volume, Tusa Liberator with two lenses. I much prefer the black silicone for two reasons it reduces glare and the black never turns yellow with time.

My wife ordered a new mask today from XS Scuba; low volume with the gauge reader lenses in the bottom of the lenses and black silicone skirt.

If I hadn't added perscription lenses to my OceanMaster Primero just last year I would buy one of those new Atomic's today.

The OM Primero is a really great mask. It's the most comfortable mask I've ever worn and the fit is almost perfect. However, I would like to go back to one that has less volume.

Personally, I like the larger single lens and the clear skirt. The black skirt, 2 lens design makes me feel confined and I fell like I'm looking through a tube. I don't think I see as much either. At the end-of-the-day it's probably what ever you get used too. Use a toothbrush and a mild soap on that clear shirt it want yellow much at all.

Purge valve - the last two masks I've owned have had purge valves. I've never had a single problem even without the plastic cover over the valve. Yet I rarely use the purge because it is so easy to clear the mask manually.

Don Janni:
If I hadn't added perscription lenses to my OceanMaster Primero just last year I would buy one of those new Atomic's today.

The OM Primero is a really great mask. It's the most comfortable mask I've ever worn and the fit is almost perfect. However, I would like to go back to one that has less volume.

Personally, I like the larger single lens and the clear skirt. The black skirt, 2 lens design makes me feel confined and I fell like I'm looking through a tube. I don't think I see as much either. At the end-of-the-day it's probably what ever you get used too. Use a toothbrush and a mild soap on that clear shirt it want yellow much at all.

Purge valve - the last two masks I've owned have had purge valves. I've never had a single problem even without the plastic cover over the valve. Yet I rarely use the purge because it is so easy to clear the mask manually.
I have a older z4 with a purge. Does your masks purge touch the tip of your nose like mine does. Hate that liitle raw spot on it after a few dives. I would like to replace it and I love the ocean masters strap..

H2Andy:
definetly low volume. the smaller the mask the better.

as for colors, that's really a personal preference. i like black. not sure why,
just "feels" better underwater. never did get used to a clear skirt.

the Shadow (Dive Rite) low volume mask is my favorite. their
fancy name for it is the Tec Sea Vision 2500:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/fins/maskshadow.shtml

Thanks, Andy. I've had my eye on these for some time, and I just ordered one with the magenta lenses. W00T! :14:

i like the promate frameless mask.....easy to break in and has an amazing view degree!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom