New Mask Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been interested in the Cressi's Big Eyes, Horizon, Lince. I have tried them on at shops and the field of view does seem to be larger.

Fish_Whisperer:
Thanks, Andy. I've had my eye on these for some time, and I just ordered one with the magenta lenses. W00T! :14:

hahaha..you got a heck of a sale... those things go for $120

the second-worst day of my diving life was when some scumbag
stole my Shadow from my luggage on my way back from Roatan

H2Andy:
hahaha..you got a heck of a sale... those things go for $120

No kidding? That's great!

the second-worst day of my diving life was when some scumbag
stole my Shadow from my luggage on my way back from Roatan

Oh man... Stealing someone's scuba gear is the lowest of the low...

I tried a Big Eyes when I was looking for a new mask but it leaked on me.

Switched to a Mares X-Vision. Comparing them side by side, the X-Vision has a wider field of view. I got the black skirt and like it a lot. It's a very soft, comfortable skirt.

It's far and away the best mask I've ever used. It seems to fit almost everyone too. Give one a try. ScubaToys has them at a good price (or they'll match LP if their price is better).

yes, that is a great mask, and glad to hear the skirt mentioned. i love the look of the SP frameless, but it bites into my face, --not enough angle to the skirt. I look for a cushy angled skirt. And black is the only color!

H2Andy:
definetly low volume. the smaller the mask the better.

as for colors, that's really a personal preference. i like black. not sure why,
just "feels" better underwater. never did get used to a clear skirt.

the Shadow (Dive Rite) low volume mask is my favorite. their
fancy name for it is the Tec Sea Vision 2500:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/fins/maskshadow.shtml
Andy,
Would you suggest one with the pink lens or clear. I could always use my old mask for night dives if needed.

When I make recommendations to others on their mask purchases, I would usually tell them it is more or less personal fit and preference. Stop by your LDS and try out a few mask which you are interested in. If you do mind how they would look on your face, look into the mirror. Some have preference over certain colors, shape, and/or window type. I guess there is not really a right recommendation for everyone.

Something I personally like are :1 piece window, frameless, and black skirt. I am currently using Oceanic Shadow and is delighted with it. Should I need a replacement, I will certainly go out and get another one.

Might want to give it a try!!!

Loneranger:
I have been interested in the Cressi's Big Eyes, Horizon, Lince. I have tried them on at shops and the field of view does seem to be larger.

Try the Big Eyes. I currently have one with a clear skirt, and just recently ordered one with a black skirt. Its great because you can look down and see all of your gear. Definitley worth checking out, I think.

I had Cressi Big Eyes, but my hairline interfered with the fit, so it kept leaking. I keep it as my back up mask.

I use a Scubapro Fino mask. Low volume, 2 windows. Great fit and easy to clear. Good mask for smaller faces. You can also have prescription lenses put it it.

Bratface:
I had Cressi Big Eyes, but my hairline interfered with the fit, so it kept leaking. I keep it as my back up mask.

I use a Scubapro Fino mask. Low volume, 2 windows. Great fit and easy to clear. Good mask for smaller faces. You can also have prescription lenses put it it.

Yes, I have heard others that have the same problem with the Big Eyes. Maybe I have a high forehead?:11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom