New Mask Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the newness has worn off a little, you might try getting a lighter and burning the inside of the glass. The coating from manufacturing will turn black. Then scrub the black soot off with toothpaste (not gel) and it will significantly reduce the fogging.

You can also get a small bottle of baby shampoo for use as defog. It's 50 or 60 cents in the travel size section of the drug store. Just refill from a larger bottle as needed. You're probably looking at 5 bucks for a lifetime supply. That's significantly cheaper than 5 or 6 bucks for a tiny bottle of specialty dive soap. Spit also works and it's free.

What he said. I burn mine with a lighter, scrub with toothpaste. N

I believe that (most posters are) confusing the initial cleaning of your new mask with the defogging process before each dive

Also, if it came with a plastic box, take it out of the box as long before diving is practical. New(ish) masks off-gas from the skirt (and box) and it'll fog the lense on the first dive no matter what you do

I do it everywhere, including the skirt, but especially the inside of the lens. That way, it cuts down on the offgassing of the coating.

Back
Top Bottom