New Mask Prep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then what is the black stuff being burned off?
Take a clean drink glass (that you don't care about) and use the lighter procedure on it.

First your lighter puts a water fog onto the glass then that evaporates. Next your lighter will coat the glass with carbon black (soot) from the flame. Keep heating and that will burn off when the glass gets hot enough. If you are lucky, your glass won't crack.

You can't see the impurities being burned off, you are looking at soot from the lighter.

Take a clean drink glass (that you don't care about) and use the lighter procedure on it.

First your lighter puts a water fog onto the glass then that evaporates. Next your lighter will coat the glass with carbon black (soot) from the flame. Keep heating and that will burn off when the glass gets hot enough. If you are lucky, your glass won't crack.

You can't see the impurities being burned off, you are looking at soot from the lighter.
Thanks for setting me straight!!! I did the experiment on a drinking glass and a tiny tiny bit of black soot was on the glass from the lighter. But when I do masks there is literally a black out and the soot is thick!! Also after a few burns and wet wipes the soot on the mask gets less and less.

So what is the heavy black stuff on the mask...because it isn't all lighter soot? Not being a smart a$$...genuinely curious.

Thanks again for the education

Thanks for setting me straight!!! I did the experiment on a drinking glass and a tiny tiny bit of black soot was on the glass from the lighter. But when I do masks there is literally a black out and the soot is thick!! Also after a few burns and wet wipes the soot on the mask gets less and less.

So what is the heavy black stuff on the mask...because it isn't all lighter soot? Not being a smart a$$...genuinely curious.

Thanks again for the education
The black is CARBON. If you burn the bottom of a clean glass in your kitchen, it will not combust, but also turn black. There is no oil involved. It's just incomplete combustion from the flame. The silicone release agent on the mask is burned by the flame quite effectively. So is the skirt so be careful. Mask manufacturers will not replace a burnt mask. It's also just as easily removed with a mild abrasive like toothpaste and a lot of elbow grease.

The 'accepted' burn procedure is to burn off the soot that forms the first time. Way too aggressive for me...
I saw at least a dozen ruined masks at the dive shop I worked at. No refunds or replacements.

Seasoning uncoated removable glass lenses is child's play. Remove the glass and soak in household ammonia for 3-4 days. Clean the re-assembled mask in a dishwasher between dive trips to keep it happy.

Ammonia solution is damaging to some hard plastics. Frameless masks require care when using ammonia.

Other than cosmetics, I see only one good reason for using coated lenses. Silvered hunting masks won't allow your prey to see what you are looking at...

Good policy on the "No returns on a burned mask." I have yet to burn or damage a mask using the lighter...and I have probably done several dozen for friends and family. But I am VERY careful and only burn in small time increments.

If I do ruin one...I'll be willing to pay "The stupid tax." for a new mask.

I have had my current mask for several years. Until I started diving, I never was aware of a protective film on the mask. Having snorkeled numerous times and dove several times with it, should I burn the lens to possibly remove any film or, after a lot of cleanings, will it have likely worn off by now? I do get some fogging under water, sometime annoying, but not blinding or anything.

I have had my current mask for several years. Until I started diving, I never was aware of a protective film on the mask. Having snorkeled numerous times and dove several times with it, should I burn the lens to possibly remove any film or, after a lot of cleanings, will it have likely worn off by now? I do get some fogging under water, sometime annoying, but not blinding or anything.

Scrub the inside of the lens thoroughly with some toothpaste to clean it. Probably more accumulated dirt at this time than silicone film. See how that works first.

Back
Top Bottom