New member from Chicago....Brrrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoebe

Registered
Reaction score

Hello all!

I'm a Chicago(suburbs) gal. I've never been diving in cold water and am not sure if I want to start. Maybe if I'm desperate.

I'm signed up for a trip to Key Largo 5/31 with Coast to coast travel-Natasha (under the group trip heading). I don't have a dive buddy or roomate. So if any girls are thinking of going to FL 5/31, let me know.

I haven't been diving for 2 1/2 yrs. Last time was USVI. Got my Adv. down there.

Anyway, if you'd like to chat....:)

Hi phoebe and welcome to the scubaboard. Like you, I don't understand the cold water warriors either, but you never know I might dive in Alaska one of these days.

Have fun...there is good information here as well as people having fun.:mean:

Hi! i have no body heat so no i'm not a cold water diver either :)

I'll tell you what kids, I have just started drysuit diving in Central Michigan and cold is no longer a factor. With longjohns and a longsleeve tee, my fuzzy onepiece undersuit and Viking Xtreme drysuit, I stayed a warm as could be in 45 degree water yesterday in Lake Fenton. At 52 feet my computer said it was 30 degrees, and it did seem a bit colder, but I was NEVER cold. Either on the surface between dives, or while in the water.

The Chicago area has a new wreck to dive, and Lake Michigan is not much colder than what I experienced on Sunday in the local lake here....

Hey! :) Welcome to the board.
Like Frank mentioned...ever think about getting a drysuit? You could dive all year! Sounds like an idea to me.

Welcome to the board! I'm just a bit north of you in Milwaukee, and decided that this is the year that I'm going to dive Lake Michigan, finally. I'm finding that the once or twice/year tropical diving is just not enough...

There is a thread floating around here somewhere on a Chicago dive trip this summer...I think "Reefraff" has taken over the planning. You'll have to PM him for more info if you're interested.

scubagrl once bubbled...

There is a thread floating around here somewhere on a Chicago dive trip this summer...I think "Reefraff" has taken over the planning. You'll have to PM him for more info if you're interested. [/B]

Reefraff has posted the itinerary. Looks like a fun weekend, and a good intro to what Lake Michigan has to offer.

Welcome Phoebe and it's not all that cold up here all summer.

Scubagirl,

There is a LDS from Appleton that's sponsoring a picnic and dive at Devil's Lake State Park this Saturday. I've signed up and though I don't dive dry (yet) I'm going to give it a try. I've read that water temp is 52 F and vis about 18 ft. There are lots of Wisconsin opportunities to dive besides Lake Michigan, though there is some great diving there. You mentioned being from just north of Milwaukee. There is a West Bend club that frequently dives the Niagra just off of Port Washington. If you're interested in further info, let me know.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom