New OW diver in California, moving to Seattle soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They would probably put you with a willing buddy team as the third guy. I find most California divers are pretty cool about stuff like that and don’t hold up crosses at insta buddies.
For me personally, I would have no problem puttering around on my own in 35’- 50’ looking at stuff and just enjoying the dive day. They are pretty loose about letting people solo dive. I’m not saying you should, but I do.
There was one reef we went to that was an MPA reserve and there were so many lobsters milling around in broad daylight I couldn’t believe it! I saw one about 12 lbs. and it wasn’t scared of people, not in the least bit! Could have reached down and picked it up!
That‘s fair, maybe I should just go and see. Although, I don’t know about solo diving on my literal 2nd time out :)

@Thosted

I'd recomment connecting with (in order of personal preference) in Seattle once you move here.

1) Marker Buoy Dive Club (Marker Buoy Dive Club – Copyright Digital Cupcakes). They are hands down the largest and most active group all over
2) GUE Seattle / 8 Diving in Des Moines (8diving.com). You don't have to drink the Kool Aid. You can still dive a jacket style BCD and split fins. It is a good, supportive group with many really good divers
3) if down south near Lacey/Tacoma, Off the Hook Diving (othdiving.com). They provide the most complete support for divers: from open water to CCR (I picked up a set of 3L cylinders for my rebreather, everyone else had to special order).
4) miscellaneous other dive clubs and dive shops that organize dives.

What part of Seattle will you be living?
Thanks for those suggestions, that is great! I wish I knew where I’ll end up; I don’t know yet. All I know is, it’ll be in the area between say Tacoma and Arlington, so a pretty far net to cast,

Thanks for those suggestions, that is great! I wish I knew where I’ll end up; I don’t know yet. All I know is, it’ll be in the area between say Tacoma and Arlington, so a pretty far net to cast,
You won't have any trouble finding dive buddies as there are so many active groups. Marker Buoy covers everywhere pretty much. Diving in the San Juans is awesome. Hood Canal is great too. Be sure to head out to Neah Bay someday for diving at Waddah Fingers: my hands down favorite dive site in the state.

That‘s fair, maybe I should just go and see. Although, I don’t know about solo diving on my literal 2nd time out :)
No don’t solo dive.
Just let them know ahead of time you’ll be needing a buddy. I don’t think you will have a problem finding someone to dive with.
Make it a priority to stick with your buddy(s). And while you guys are cruising along, work on neutral buoyancy, breathing, and just enjoy the sights and blowing bubbles.

If you join up on Marker Buoy Dive Club dives, just let the organizer know your preference of just one buddy. Some people are used to team based diving (GUE, there's a good community up here), so just let people know. I'd take you out myself, but I'm still trying to get squared away with my rebreather, so I'm useless in terms of helping another diver.

Looks like I may be moving later than I anticipated. Still a bit hesitant to just go to the spectre hoping someone will team with me; aside from the cost, I really would hate spending the day on a dive boat not diving :) Is there any good LA(ish) based dive clubs, or some other way to find some like-minded folks to dive with? Who potentially don’t mind if it’s a relatively short term partnership :)

Looks like I may be moving later than I anticipated. Still a bit hesitant to just go to the spectre hoping someone will team with me; aside from the cost, I really would hate spending the day on a dive boat not diving :) Is there any good LA(ish) based dive clubs, or some other way to find some like-minded folks to dive with? Who potentially don’t mind if it’s a relatively short term partnership :)
If you are not averse to GUE, I'd suggest looking up the LA Underwater Explorers group on FB. I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't find some dive buddies for your limited time remaining in LA.

If you are not averse to GUE, I'd suggest looking up the LA Underwater Explorers group on FB. I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't find some dive buddies for your limited time remaining in LA.
Now that makes me wonder - why would I be averse to GUE? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom