New Oxycheq Mach V!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge:
Decided to revive this thread since my questions pertain more to this thread.

Has anybody used a Mach V with an AL80? Can you post pics?

I appreciate that the Machv is about 3 inches narrower than the Razor 18 but it is also a couple inches longer. I read here somewhere that the wing might extend below the tank. Is this true? I like standing my tank up instead of lying it down.

Please help. I am stuck deciding between these two wings. I would love to get a smaller wing but if they are almost the same size, a little more buoyancy will not be that bad.

The size is just one difference between the two wings. Perhaps the more important difference is that the razors are single-layered (or bladderless) while the Mach V is double-layered i.e. it has an inner bladder that holds the gas covered by an exterior bag to protect it. This makes it more rugged and easier to repair since you can remove and replace the inner bladder if necessary, but also a little bit heavier and less streamlined. OTOH, it may be overall more streamlined than the 18# razor since it's narrower. However, you might want to wait for the DSS torus 17 (or tropical travel wing) to come out. I haven't seen one yet, but it's coming out now at DEMA and from the description it sounded real good.

So I've taken my Mach V for a few dives now. I have an entire OxyCheq setup (plate, adjustable comfort harness, etc.). I like it a lot! Pretty comfy above water and very comfy below water. I seem to have it trimmed out well with the steel 100's I have. I need to wear about 23# of extra weight (8# in the weight pockets on the harness and the rest on a belt).

Trying to figure out how to make it more comfortable with the weight belt. I have most of my weights (5 3# weights) on the back of my belt, and the plate seems to overlap those and push the weights into my back. One time my belt somehow rotated around on a dive, so they were all at the front, and the rig was quite comfortable when I climbed out of the water! But the belt buckle was in the back which isn't exactly the greatest thing.

Also, I think if I did it again I'd get a hog harness, as I climb into and out of the rig without loosening or unclipping the comfort harness anyway. Oh well.

Brian

bdshort:
...I need to wear about 23# of extra weight (8# in the weight pockets on the harness and the rest on a belt).

Trying to figure out how to make it more comfortable with the weight belt. I have most of my weights (5 3# weights) on the back of my belt, and the plate seems to overlap those and push the weights into my back. ...

Brian,

I moved 4# to my tank cam bands in the form of soft weights with 2" loops stitched on. Another alternative is the XS Scuba weight pockets for 2" webbing. The weights sit right next to the BP once they are rigged to the bands. That would leave 11# for the weightbelt, which you should be able to distribute further forward, thereby leaving the rear centre portion of the weightbelt free. I hope I described that well enough.

I use a Bright Weight weightbelt with the weights installed close to the buckle on each end. That way there is a big gap in the middle, so the tank and BP can't push the weights into my back.

You could move more than 4# to your tank bands, but that would depend on how much ditchable weight you are comfortable with. I would keep the 11" on my weightbelt. At the moment I have 9# on my weightbelt and it is not uncomfortable.

PS: You may also find value in a heavy STA from Oxycheq (if you don't have one already!), or a channel weight.

Cheers,

Andrew

Does oxycheq have a heavy STA, I though they got only the lightweight ???

My bad, I was just recalling the lightweight..
The oxycheq looks like the halcyon one...
Hammerhead and Fred T are also very similar together but clearly different from oxy and halcyon...

partridge:
Thanks guys. Ill keep an eye out for the new DSS but for now I think I am sold on the Mach V. Never say never though. haha.

You will not regret the Mach V . I have sold a few. I keep getting one for a demo and then someone sees it...... :)

Ron

I believe Halcyon may make a weighted STA from which you can remove the weight (I saw this at my local LDS). That would come in handy and maybe save a bit of $$. Does anyone else have that sort of thing?

stefusa:
My bad, I was just recalling the lightweight..
The oxycheq looks like the halcyon one...
Hammerhead and Fred T are also very similar together but clearly different from oxy and halcyon...

Welcome to the "dark side". I too used to freedive...got worried about swb.Was a member of CAFA but never compeated or got to that level.

The OXY SS plate is not light weight. The 5lb weighted sta will add some lbs bringing the total to 9 or 10 lbs.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom