New PSD, need advice on BCD purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I dive a Halcyon Infinity with a S/S BP and the cinch harness. I wouldn't presume to question what the other posters on this thread are saying, but chances are they're diving with what works best for them. I've developed a strong preference for BP/W over jacket BCDs but that's just me.

Ultimately you have to do what works best for you. I've never worked as a PSD, but if the team leaders you're going to be diving with have a preference for a certain type of gear, then presumably they've got reasons for that and have developed their procedures and best practices accordingly.

And as for the other thing, I always assumed that since I was a dork to begin with, learning to dive just automatically made me a dork diver. I didn't know there were groups ... :dork2:

I always assumed that since I was a dork to begin with, learning to dive just automatically made me a dork diver. I didn't know there were groups ... :dork2:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dork-divers/
1. Dork Divers may safely use any type or color of dive gear.
We don't want any diver to be concerned about the color or mixture of colors their gear is. Some divers like all black ninja style gear while others prefer a mixture of colors. Whatever you like, we like!
Safety is a different issue. We encourage all divers to service their gear regularly by a qualified tech. We do not encourage DORK divers to ridicule other divers gear, no matter how it may appear to you.

2. Dork Divers may wear their mask on the forehead.
Wearing your mask on your forehead is not always a sign of distress, regardless of what PADI or other agencies say. It just easier to put on your forehead than around your neck. This is particularly true for divers with short or no necks. MOFH divers know the risk of loosing their mask when they put it there.

3. Dork Divers couldn't care less if your gear cost 10x what theirs did.
We know how much SCUBA gear costs. If you want to buy the most expensive gear available, good. We just don't need you telling us. Dork Divers do not necessarily subscribe to the theory that more money spent means you/we are safer divers. We do encourage using gear that is safe, comfortable and fun to use.

4. Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.
We love diving and we love diving where it is beautiful, warm and the people are fun to be around. We love diving on vacation, weekends and it that means we can only dive 2 or 3 times a year or everyday, so be it.
We also know that diving in lakes, quarries, ponds, reservoirs and cold seas can also be great fun. But lets face it, a dive in the warm waters of the tropics is really nice!

5. Dork Divers don’t care about your SAC rate.
We do care about our own SAC (Surface Air Consumption Rate). We don't really care that you can last 4 hours on a single Aluminum 80 tank of gas. The only time it really matters is if you are made our dive buddy. Then still all we want to know is how long we, as a team can expect the dive to last.

6. Dork Divers don’t care about how deep you dive.
We dive for fun. This does not mean we are interested in hearing about your last dive to 160'. We are only concerned how deep this dive is planed for and if there is anything groovy to see down there.

7. Dork Divers don’t care about Trimix.
Remember, we dive for fun. We don't care about risking our lives by visiting some wreak that is 230' below our boat and we certainly do not want to hear about how dangerous or many people died on the last dive you were on. If however, diving that deep is fun for you, great!

8. Dork Divers don't flame posters on ScubaBoard.
We all learn a great deal on ScubaBoard. It is a great resource for divers. We do not like it when we get blasted after a post and we do not flame other posters. We offer fun and learned opinions, that is all.

9. Dork Divers respect the boat owner and deck hands.
Dork Divers respect the time, investment and risks the boat owners made in their boats and business. We also respect the rules and behave responsibly on these fun trips. We are good tippers and enjoy good service. We only expect the same behavior in others. We are only out there to dive, socialize and have a great time.

10. Dork Divers respect the environment, both above and below.
Dork Divers dive to observe and sometimes photograph the beauty below. We want future generations to experience the same. Take only pictures and leave only bubbles.

11. Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.
Dork Divers dive for fun so if the boat/port or dive master calls the dive, its OK. We understand its for our safety. As far as we are concerned, its time to socialize and consume products normally reserved for after the day of diving is over. Remember DORK Divers are responsible people.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2016 at 10:49 AM ----------

I would suggest looking at the other team members gear and going along those styles.
Its not hard at all to attach a pony to the Zeagle or about any BC really.

All but two of the team dive jacket style BCD's for training/mission dives. Some have "transition" back inflate type BCD's like the Zeagle Ranger. The line between BP/W and Jacket style BCD seems to be getting thinner considering things like the Transpac.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2016 at 11:13 AM ----------

Its not hard at all to attach a pony to the Zeagle or about any BC really.

I had read somewhere that the 911 backplate was not rigid, so the pony tended to flop around. I could get a used one that's said to have only been in the water once for $350.

Reactions: Sol
I'm thinking that my team leaders would probably be fine with something like the Transpac. What would be the main difference or problem someone used to a vest BCD might run into if they needed to assist me or remove my gear? Would it be the crotch strap? Some BCD's use those too right?

there is essentially no difference in the transpac harnesses and the standard bc's, potentially the waist buckle being different, but I would still highly recommend going to a stainless backplate and putting a quick release on the shoulder. The crotch strap is important, but most BC's don't have them. With a bpw, when you undo the waist buckle the crotch strap comes out with it.

Apex Black Ice BC. Best BC for PS and Military divers. You might not know that Aqua Lung/Apex is the largest provider of PS and Military dive gear in the world. I dive a BP and wing 90% of the time, but most PS divers are using various brands of jacked/back inflate BCs.

there is essentially no difference in the transpac harnesses and the standard bc's, potentially the waist buckle being different, but I would still highly recommend going to a stainless backplate and putting a quick release on the shoulder. The crotch strap is important, but most BC's don't have them. With a bpw, when you undo the waist buckle the crotch strap comes out with it.

Are you suggesting something like the Dive Rite Delux Harness?

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 09:18 AM ----------

I'll check out the Black Ice, thank you

Our team standardized on BPW with one piece web harness years ago and we're really happy with them. The setups are standardized and it makes life a lot easier when you know exactly where your teammates gear is located. Pretty much the DIR standard setup but with two cutting tools (Shears on the belt, line cutter above the chest D ring.)

Are you suggesting something like the Dive Rite Delux Harness?

---------- Post added January 12th, 2016 at 09:18 AM ----------

I'll check out the Black Ice, thank you

yes, they used to have a Deluxe Harness with Quick Release that should still be in stock in some places. Otherwise you can take any standard harness, buy a quick release buckle and two slide locks, and make your own.

Having some experience as one of the authors and editors of the SEI Search and Recovery/PSD Level One course these kinds of threads make me nervous.

True teams should have standardized gear that any member can look at and instantly know where everything is.

To me that means the team all uses the same BC. Whether a BPW or jacket.

That BC, and all the other gear frankly like regs that can be maintained by a chosen member or members, should not be a hodgepodge of jackets, BPW's, back inflates, etc. Each member should be able to determine another member's gear location by feel.

The gear should be uncomplicated, easy to replace, easy to service on site, and easy to decontaminate according to the needs of the team.

Weight systems should be standardized and not a mix of different styles. The reason being is these are likely going to be dives with a specific goal and should the stuff hit the fan with a person in the water, no one has to think about how to get the system off. It's instinctual.

Why this is often not the case is directly related to 911. After 911 Homeland Security started giving grants to everyone even remotely related to Public Safety. All you needed was a grant writer. Even little local VFD's with a lake the size of a house no deeper than ten feet found that they could get a grant to start a PSD team. What happened then was dive shops started to get calls about training for these "teams" and discovered a gold mine had been dropped in their lap. Shops and instructors with ZERO PSD experience started to train these teams to do what they said in the grant application they would do.

Search and Recovery of just about anything. The problem is they were doing it without any real PSD Team guidance. Locally this meant they were giving police and fire depts something along these lines - OW, AOW, Search and Recovery (recreational NOT actual PSD with training in contaminated water, evidence recovery and preservation, use of tethers, etc.), and Rescue and turning them loose as genuine bonified PSD divers.

When in fact the opposite was actually the case. I saw "PSD Teams" trained by one shop with split fins, big honking dry snorkels, sea doo pool scooters, huge bulky jacket bc's, and other ridiculous items. Completely lacking in buddy/communication skills but what they did have was a receipt for a big ass check to that shop.

If you are going to set up a real team bring in an instructor from ERDI or one of the actual PSD training organizations and buy what they suggest. Not what people here advise.

Back
Top Bottom