New PSD, need advice on BCD purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having some experience as one of the authors and editors of the SEI Search and Recovery/PSD Level One course these kinds of threads make me nervous.

True teams should have standardized gear that any member can look at and instantly know where everything is.

To me that means the team all uses the same BC. Whether a BPW or jacket.

That BC, and all the other gear frankly like regs that can be maintained by a chosen member or members, should not be a hodgepodge of jackets, BPW's, back inflates, etc. Each member should be able to determine another member's gear location by feel.

The gear should be uncomplicated, easy to replace, easy to service on site, and easy to decontaminate according to the needs of the team.

Weight systems should be standardized and not a mix of different styles. The reason being is these are likely going to be dives with a specific goal and should the stuff hit the fan with a person in the water, no one has to think about how to get the system off. It's instinctual.

Why this is often not the case is directly related to 911. After 911 Homeland Security started giving grants to everyone even remotely related to Public Safety. All you needed was a grant writer. Even little local VFD's with a lake the size of a house no deeper than ten feet found that they could get a grant to start a PSD team. What happened then was dive shops started to get calls about training for these "teams" and discovered a gold mine had been dropped in their lap. Shops and instructors with ZERO PSD experience started to train these teams to do what they said in the grant application they would do.

Search and Recovery of just about anything. The problem is they were doing it without any real PSD Team guidance. Locally this meant they were giving police and fire depts something along these lines - OW, AOW, Search and Recovery (recreational NOT actual PSD with training in contaminated water, evidence recovery and preservation, use of tethers, etc.), and Rescue and turning them loose as genuine bonified PSD divers.

When in fact the opposite was actually the case. I saw "PSD Teams" trained by one shop with split fins, big honking dry snorkels, sea doo pool scooters, huge bulky jacket bc's, and other ridiculous items. Completely lacking in buddy/communication skills but what they did have was a receipt for a big ass check to that shop.

If you are going to set up a real team bring in an instructor from ERDI or one of the actual PSD training organizations and buy what they suggest. Not what people here advise.

I want to thank you for taking the time to clearly express your concerns, and I do get your point, and feel it's perfectly valid. Let me be clear, I'm a new member, and am not speaking on behalf of the team. Based on my perception, our team would love to have standardized gear, however, we're volunteers and as far as I know we have no subsidies, grants, or government budget. The team has a high commitment to training yet with the realization that different volunteers will have different gear, and while it's not ideal, there doesn't appear to be a clear solution.

I know and that's why you should be training the teams. It would help if they knew you were. I didn't since there is no identification to tell me that. Unless I go to your profile which I rarely do here.

Not the avg instructor/shop looking for a check. If I had a VFD say come to me and want to do this I'd go through their OW and Rescue Diver. That's it.

Then I'd bring in an ERDI Instructor to teach them. I'm not one and would not presume to tell them that any training I could give them would fully prep them for PSD tasks.

Good call Jim.

Paperdesk, even volunteer team can get standardized, it's OK to allow a bit longer to get there- that makes it more palatable for folks if they have a couple of years to budget for their new gear. But the key is to decide so that anyone updating their stuff can get with the program.

BC's and weight systems would probably be the first gear I would try to match- regulator type isn't going to be such a big deal as long as the hoses are set up the same. Get everyone together, get the agreement that standardization is a good thing, and then start setting the standards. :D (easy for a new guy on the team, right?)

TC:
Good call Jim.

Paperdesk, even volunteer team can get standardized, it's OK to allow a bit longer to get there- that makes it more palatable for folks if they have a couple of years to budget for their new gear. But the key is to decide so that anyone updating their stuff can get with the program.

BC's and weight systems would probably be the first gear I would try to match- regulator type isn't going to be such a big deal as long as the hoses are set up the same. Get everyone together, get the agreement that standardization is a good thing, and then start setting the standards. :D (easy for a new guy on the team, right?)

You sure hit the nail on the head. We have qualified and experienced team leaders, and I believe we will eventually get there. As you say it may take time. I'm brand new to the team, plus I only have 100 logged dives, am still finishing up my rescue course and won't take the PSD course till spring. You might say I'm in a weak position to be advising the team! However, I'll do my best to nudge in the right direction.

Hello paperdesk, first of all I would like to say Thank You for your service. I am a former Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff, and current Fire Fighter and EMT. I have spent many years in the Public Service both in and out of the water. In regards to your post, my suggestions are going to be rather lengthy, and remember what works for me may not work for you. I would also like to add that everyone has given you sound advise thus far, just keep in mind that the reality of most teams are one of two things. First, paid teams have funding, and second, volunteer do not (for the most part). This plays a big role in gear selection. The other thing I will mention is, for safety concerns, in my professional opinion, teams should be standardized. Now with all that being said, I will give you some back ground on myself and then show you my two different set ups.

I started doing Public Safety Diving in the early 2000's. I started diving for the Sheriff's Office that I was employed by. I was also the team leader at the time, and the Instructor that taught 90% of the team. After transferring from the Sheriff's Office to a local Police Department, I also joined and ran my local Fire Departments Dive Team. I then started traveling as a service for the shop I own now, and began teaching in states all over, in Ice Diving, and PSD Ice Diving. I currently dive for seven Public Safety Dive Teams, and run three of them. I have wore many types of equipment and different configurations. Due to the type of diving that Public Safety Diving is, there always seems to be a misconception of what a diver needs to wear, whether it is Jacket Styles, Back Plate and Wings, etc. Depending on whether or not the team is standardized the individual diver should not worry on whether he is comfortable or not. Now I know that sounds weird but let me explain. When we do recoveries, both body and evidence, we have one goal in mind, SAFETY. But considering just how dangerous Public Safety Diving is, not to mention diving in itself, divers should focus on their skills and not so much the equipment. I have had many students in the Public Safety field that I have failed because they were simply not ready for the task they were faced with. Some of the students were excellent divers, they were just not comfortable when it came to the conditions of the water they were in. Being comfortable doesn't necessarily mean you have gear that you feel 100% in, it means you feel 100% comfortable no matter what you wear. The same applies to us Instructors that teach day in and day out. We should feel comfortable teaching in our personal gear and whatever the student wears as well. I know I have swapped gear with many students (Open Water) because they did not like how their BCD felt, or the mask wasn't working for them. So I swapped out their gear with mine and continued on with the dive. The point is, no matter what gear you wear, your skills are more important, especially for Public Safety, after all its not tropical warm water, with 200 feet of visibility with half naked mermaids, you will be diving in.

So on to the equipment. I'm not going to get into the argument over Jacket Style, Back Inflate, Back Plate and Wings, Side Mount, or any other gear configuration; Primarily because I wear both Back Plate and Wing, and Jacket Style depending on the task at hand, and what team I am diving for. When I am under the ICE and considering the amount of gear I have to wear (including extra harnesses), Back Plate and Wing is my first go to option. If it is a quick deployment, then the Jacket is my choice. Either way, I know I can handle any situation with the equipment no matter the configuration. I will say this, I am very fortunate that I have the ability to carry multiple rigs with me 24/7, and have the ability to choose at a moments notice. In these pictures you will see both set ups, and you will also notice that my pony of choice is sometimes back mounted and some times slung (both on the Jacket Style and Back Plate and Wing). You will also notice that some times I am in a Full Face Mask and some times I am not. Once again it is more on the task at hand and my confidence to do the job, and not so much on the gear. The two biggest benefits to the Back Plate and Wing, is weight and being able to customize your set up. With the Jacket Style you are sometimes limited, however with systems now days simplicity is a great thing. If I am going to be in colder environments, where I have to wear an ungodly amount of weight, the Back Plate (Steel) and Wing is a no brainer. But I am no stranger to just piling the weights in my weight pouches or even a weight belt. For most night operations, I will choose my Jacket Style, because of the manufacture's design (it has reflective material). No matter what equipment I wear, I am confident in all and know I can do the job I have been hired to do. Now I know I probably didn't give you an answer that you were looking for, but I hope you understand that it is not so much the equipment, but more so on your abilities and confidence. Here are some pictures of my two set ups.

1115982_662619213853692_7256493385388303628_o.jpg10469159_662618577187089_8296352518526576398_o.jpg10661716_662618447187102_8812699509359820110_o.jpg11018993_731460756969537_4663208416568815651_o.jpg11062385_740566832725596_1969484513242227973_n.jpg12022524_1622668107982723_2452431129883446415_o.jpg12489208_886474548134823_8888066948462535310_o.jpgMe Diving.jpg

P.S., since I can't tell you what will work best for you, I will give you a list of recommendations to check into.

Lifeguard Systems - PSD BCD
Zeagle - 911 / S&R
Sherwood - Zodiac
Hollis - Enviro Pro
ANY - I Repeat - ANY Back Plate and Wing, I prefer OMS

The two most current BCD's that I use for Public Safety Diving are the Lifeguard Systems and OMS Red Wing.

Once again, Thank You for you service and safe diving.

Last edited:
Bryan, fantastic post, thank you so much for the detailed post and helpful post. It gives me some really good things to thing about.

Bryan, fantastic post, thank you so much for the detailed post and helpful post. It gives me some really good things to thing about.

I know it is pretty redundant, but I decided to post a video to our YouTube Channel about this post. This will also give you an idea how I stow accessories while diving, during a Public Safety Operation.

Bryan, that's awesome. I have literally never seen a guy wearing a jacket BCD over a drysuit before.

Sol, After 27 years in the industry, it still amazes me how perception drives so much misunderstanding. As much as I love Scuba Board, sometimes I feel that it hurts the industry by painting a picture of 2 types of divers. Diver one is the Open Water Diver (Open Water - Instructor) and Diver 2 the Tech Diver (or what I call the Techy look alike). Definitely no disrespect to any tech diver, just an observation I have made over 27 years. We sometimes see things on TV, Movies, or even here on Scuba Board, where some one states you can only wear a certain type of gear with certain exposure suits, and what happens is, many newer divers feel like it looks bad on them if they don't conform to that standard. I have always stated that if you took Scuba Diving as a whole, less than 2% has anything to do with the Tech scene or DIR style. The majority of divers are still in recreational gear including Jacket Style BCD's and Dry Suits. I honestly believe that sometimes we get so caught up in what we should wear and we forget about the whole just diving for fun aspect. Some of my most memorable dives were made just by throwing on an old Jacket Style BCD (non weight integrated) on with a weight belt, and jumping in the water. I am very fortunate that I have over 10 complete setups (personal not shop owned) that I can choose from (including Jacket Style, Back Plate and Wings, Standard Back Inflates, Side Mount, etc.). Each has a specific purpose. With that being said, I can say that I do enjoy very much diving with a back plate and wing, especially in a dry suit, but with the nature of Public Safety Diving, the specifics of the equipment do not compare to the nature of the operation. Not to be condescending to anyone or to sound like a complete jerk (I am a former Police Officer, so being called a jerk is no where near the worst I have been called), but I have recovered over 15 bodies and never once did they tell me afterwords, I can't believe you wore a Jacket Style with a dry suit, please put me back underwater. Furthermore, in our area, we have a very diverse split of different types of divers ranging from resort vacation only divers, to full fledged Tech Divers. The good news is, for the most part most divers around here understand that diving is all about enjoying the ability to breathe underwater and not so much a fashion statement. I have several real close diving buddies (all Techies) who only wear back plate and wings, and dry suits year around even in warm water, and receive just as much harassment from the recreational side as they give them. Now of course it is all in good fun, but when we have new divers in the mix, sometimes they take it as Gospel this is the only way to do it. I hope I didn't sound too aggressive, no ill feelings meant, just venting on observations made.

On another note, I recently saw a post about Side Mount Diving in a Jacket Style BCD, and at first I too batted an eye, but then I saw the pictures the guy posted and thought, that is awesome. What I really liked about it was it opened Side Mount Diving up to a whole new group of divers, ones with out big budgets, simple by allowing them to use what gear they already had and simply by adding a harness under their BCD. Very resourceful in my opinion. Here are some of his pictures.

Reactions: Sol
Bryan, just finished watching the video, very good stuff. Your experience and professionalism really comes through in the way you don't bash other people's choices, and clearly show the pro's and con's of various setups. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom