new to board and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmharley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, this being my first post and all I will try to keep it short. My girlfriend and I have just finished our classroom portion of our SSI OWC course, and will be going for our dives in a few weeks. We love everything so far and most questions have been answered by our local dive shop, but I do have a question as far as buying gear on the net, they told us in class that if we did that there would be no warrenty with the gear and servicing it would be very costly and really not pay of in the long run. I guess I would like to know if this is true or not, because I have been looking at a few bc's and they are a couple hundered cheapier on the net that at the dive shop.... Thanks for all the advice... Flipper

Welcome to the boards!

You will see it in threads noted above, but one thing to think about before buying all your gear on the net is this: if you don't support your local dive shop, where you gonna get air fills? I don't think you should have to put up with poor service, and the prices are usually higher at the dive shops, but I would buy some of your gear there, and the rest from the net. I would definitely buy your mask, fins, and snorkel (gee, I almost forgot the snorkel, cuz I really don't use it anymore), at the local dive shop. Those are items (especially mask and fins) that you really should make sure they fit. Maybe even your first and second stage. Buy everything else from the net. Knives, BC, Tanks, etc. That is my opinion on that, and you know what opinions are like? Anyhoo. Welcome again to the boards.

Tom

Just about any dive mfg prohibits internet sales. In other words, almost any thing you buy on the net will not have a warranty from the mfg.

That's probably the touchiest question around. It is indeed possible to buy gear off the net with full manufacturer's warranty, and in some other cases - I'll still buy via the net - for a reputable site with its own warranty. Before I do, tho, I try to buy from my LDS - at not too much more than I would pay online, and my LDS works with me, as I try to support them, as they support the sport.

Here is a link to my recent challenges here

:cowboy2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Welcome to the board. Remember your LDS does not make enough money, it will have to close. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy off the internet. It just means try to buy from your shop first, then go to the net if they are not willing to work with you. I personally prefer to buy all of my "Life Support" gear from my LDS. Meaning reg, bc, and computer. I wouldn't have a problem buying a speargun or some other accessory from the net. But that is just me.

:azvatar: Hello there jsmharley, My name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome! If you’d like to chat, please PM me.

Take care and Safe Diving.

:wave-smil
Click here to greet a new member!
:giveusahu
No experience needed and it feels great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom