New to Board, and returning to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rangerwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! One time NAUI diver with a scientific diving class from years ago at University of Tampa. I was well trained by a professional hard hat diver turned SCUBA instructor, and had about 20 dives to my name way back in the 1980s, when SCUBA gear had that wonderful funereal colors!

I have spent years scooting around different areas snorkeling when I can, close to shore, but I have decided to take up the sport again. I am debating what course to take again, whether to do a full class or do a recertification[ class at a local dive shop. I mainly intent to use it for warm water vacations.

Once I get back up to speed, I would like to find a group to do local and trip stuff for next summer. Anyway, long story short, I miss the fun of scuba diving, and hanging with folks that love the ocean like I do.:14:/B]

Hi Rangerwolf, and welcome to :sblogo: and back to diving!

Welcome to Scuba Board, Rangerwolf.

We are a great bunch here so you have come to right site to get information about a sport you want to take up again.

Scuba is a true addiction that must be fed. I'd go into scuba withdrawal if I let it go for as long as you did without being fed. It's quite a mystery :confused:to me how you let that happen...nonetheless WELCOME back to the diving community.

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Glad your back! You might be better in doing the whole class, so much has changed.

Look for a local dive club and join them for good times and to meet new friends with the same interest. Not to mention dive buddies!

Wow, I am so happy I came across this wonderful board. Hi DinDavid, BobVincent, Captain Wait, and ScubaSam, I think it makes sense to take a full course, since the sport has changed so much.

I think my first understanding of these changes was the evolution of fins, and, gulp, the prices. I used to have some wicked good gear, but someone broke into my storage unit and stole my shortie wetsuit, my good mask, force fins, a horse collar BC, two good knifes, booties, and such. Now that I have my own apartment, my new gear that I will be seeking to acquire over the next few months will be mask with corrective lenses, a good solid pair of scuba/snorkeling fins, and snorkel. Overtime I would love to get a good BC after I get my training.

I figure I should use rental BCs until I find a model that works for me. Any advice would be most welcome, since I am getting back into the sport. I know I would also like to save up for a good regulator and octopus. I doubt I will have a tank unless I have a house with a garage, since my nice apartment and good landlord are things I would like to keep.

Right now, I gotta save up my cash for the course, and make sure it fits my work schedule. I will try and take it towards the end of winter, start of spring, so come summer I will be able to do some dives.

I am hoping a job will open down in Key Biscayne in another few years, when I am hopefully in better shape to make such a move. I look forward to learning and making buddies overtime.

Thanks,

Liz AKA Rangerwolf:goldfish:

Advice on BC's around here can get pretty ugly. :D
Have you thought about a BP/W? :wink:
I dive with a ScubaPro Knighthawk and love it. They have one for the ladies, the Ladyhawk.
And those masks with prescription lenses ain't cheap.
Good luck using the board to find out what you need to know.

David, that's dLn David...aka; the Raisin.

Hi, Liz,

My choice to go with a Zeagle Zena BC was because of fit and comfort. Out of all the women BCs I tried on, I liked the Zena because of how it hugged my waist and my chest. Most rental BCs are geared for a man's body. Being new to diving I'd never heard of Zeagle until I tried on the Zena. I got frustrated with rental BCs that constantly rode up my torso throughout the dive regardless of how well it was adjusted on the boat. I spend more time tugging and adjusting my BC underwater then equalizing my ears. Try different women's BC to determine which fit you prefer.

I also got frustrated with rental regs that leaked and were too big for my mouth causing jaw fatigue after each dive. I brought a Mares Proton 42 Metal She Dives reg and no longer have those issues.

Continue renting until you know what features you prefer or need and what is important to you so you are comfortable during your dives. You must also consider the type of conditions you will be diving in (ie: warm or cold water, tech, wet or dry).

I waited until I was so frustrated that I walked off the dive boat and into a dive shop. Don't get to my frustration level and go shopping because you'll buy everything in one shot, luckily I have no buyer's remorse.

Good luck!

Rangerwolf everyone will tell you what the best one is ... theirs! It's the one they use. Listen to everyone ... listen to no one! Read all you can, go into more than 1 LDS and check out the BC's. Scuba Diving Magazine might be good to get as a newbie they have a product reviews that might help with gear. The equipment you end up with is paid for by you, worn by you, and you need to know why you choose it ... not because someone says it's the one ... It should be because you say it's the one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom