Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

Archangel:
PS. Lori, can I sign up to be your tank somethingORother?

Tevis,

Next time you are on the boat I'll be happy to test your DM skills! You already have the smile down. :D

Lori

We could allow everyone to read the forum but only DM/OWSI/DMC can post.

El Orans:

This seems fair to me. As much as I like the openness of SB allowing anyone to post in this proposed forum without being an actual DMC candidate or OWSI candidate would result in a big demand for mods to cleanup posts :shakehead

Cheers.

-J.-

El Orans:
Isn't that sort of how the instructor's panel is set up (except only Instructors can post)? I thought the purpose of the I2I was so that pro's could discuss pro issues in private.

do it easy:
Isn't that sort of how the instructor's panel is set up (except only Instructors can post)?
Correct.

do it easy:
I thought the purpose of the I2I was so that pro's could discuss pro issues in private.
I'm not talking about I2I but about the new forum, "Going Pro".

El, as you stated "DM's" have a place to go. But, as stated by others that have tried DMc's in training, have no access! I just figured that a board that caters to informing new upcoming divers with excellent/pertinent info, would not have such an issue with a few members(DM's and DMC'S) having a forum of their own too talk about issues that DMC's come accross while coming up the ranks? You'll give a club a new forum to talk BS, but giving more than a few members that have shown VERY much interest in a new forum such as the one descibed in this Post, seems a quite odd. What exactly would the problem be? There are long time members that have expressed they would help in the building/policing the forum. (what harm would this have on SB in the whole? ) This is seeming a little petty, in the regards that more than a few members have shown great interest in this spectrum of diving. We're not asking a place too post agency bashing posts, or even newbie bashing. We are asking for a place we can go as inspiring PROS to be and talk about issues others have dealt with already. With that said, How about a club forum then? The "RUN DMC" club. Would that be too much to ask for also?
Joe

Netdoc,(or whoever is in control of this new forum)

I think "going pro" is fine for the name.

but instead of limited posting access why don't we go full limited access.
Like a membership forum based on the perspective members desire to be included.
Put a couple of us in charge of reviewing aplications.
It's easy then, either apply and be accepted or no access to the forum.

Let's keep it simple so we don't burn the whole idea out arguing about how it should be done.
What's the worst that could happen we get a few people as members who are not currently planning on going pro?
They must at least of had a curiosity to have applied for membership right.
No harm no foul.

Just my .02 cents

Milo

ScubaMilo:
Netdoc,(or whoever is in control of this new forum)

but instead of limited posting access why don't we go full limited access.
Like a membership forum based on the perspective members desire to be included.
Put a couple of us in charge of reviewing aplications.
It's easy then, either apply and be accepted or no access to the forum.

Let's keep it simple so we don't burn the whole idea out arguing about how it should be done.
What's the worst that could happen we get a few people as members who are not currently planning on going pro?
They must at least of had a curiosity to have applied for membership right.
No harm no foul.

Just my .02 cents

Milo

I am going to take the words of Tevis, and say Milo...you are "spot on"! Sounds like the best option to me too!

ScubaMilo:
I hadn't thought about "RUN DMC". It might be even better. :rofl3:

ScubaMilo:
Patience, my young Padawan. :)

Back
Top Bottom