New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachchck

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I went on a cruise to Catalina last summer and a friend wanted me to go diving,,even with my love for the water I had no interest. It wasnt till we got back that we looked into getting certified,, we took a discover scuba course just to get in the water with the gear and see if we were really interested.. I didnt want to get out of the water! Me and 4 friends plus some family members are getting certified in April! Yahooo!,, anyways,,have been reading alot about it, have subscribed to a magazine, and cant wait!!! :bounce: Pam

Hello Pam, Welcome to the boards. I'm in San Diego and dive to the tune of about 250-300 times a year. I love diving and think diving all the time, let me know if you guys want to get together and blow some bubbles.

Mario,

Inform the Troll Bookkeeper, don, to mark another one in The Book!

We've got another poor addicted soul thats crossed over the threshold into the deep abyss... the point of no return!

WELCOME Beachchck!

We forgive your prior serious mental condition (having no interest in scuba) as it seems you were cured! hehe

Catalina gets 'em every time!!

=-)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am trying to get the group to go to Cali for our cert dives but one of the girls almost shivered out of her suit in the 75deg pool and will not go near cold water!(I didnt think it was that cold) They are aiming towards Mexico,, any advice? I was advised we might want to do our dives in the lake since it gives you good experience and is warm water, then make a great trip somewhere to enjoy! Pam

Yep, you've got it bad....and you aren't even certified yet!

Welcome to our pond. You'll learn lots of stuff here, we all do every day.

Welcome, Beachchck. And welcome to a truely unmatched sport! Be sure and tell us all about your Discover Scuba experience here.

About the lake...Guess it depends on the lake. Around here the lakes tend to be colder than the sea, but that may not be the case there. If you can find a small lake or quarry, then I'd say it would be less stressful than riding a dive boat and diving the open sea for your cert dives, but the again, if you go somewhere like the Caribbean, with 100'+ visibility, then I'd say that would be less stressfull.

Pam,

Now you've been bitten, there's no turning back and the only cure is constant doses of either salt or fresh water ran constantly over your gill plates.
Welcome to the board. And don't pay any attention to the way Mario dresses. It's his thing.

Don

A certain person around here thinks that I am somewhat spoiled as I did my open water dives in Cozumel. I really enjoyed it and I too became addicted. I have continued my diving in the multitude of lakes that Oklahoma offers. I am glad that I did my first dives in the ocean. The lakes help with my skill building and they are very enjoyable but I live to dive the warm ocean waters. I found that after diving the ocean that lakes are a big let down.

Welcome to the boards

Thanks Mrs. Don
The lakes here in AZ are very comfortable to swim in. I was told if we get our dives in the lake we will learn more and get more exposure to different things than doing it somewhere exotic etc.(why waste the great vacation on getting certed when you can already be certed when you go)
thanks for the input (p.s.. being spoiled isnt all that bad!)hehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom