New to Nitrox - Do I need to buy an O2 Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a very new diver. I completed OW last month. I'm just now completing my Nitrox Certification. I plan to dive mostly on vacations to the warmer waters.

The questions is: Do I need I need to buy an O2 analyzer or will most dive resorts or live-aboard operators have one that I can use. I expect to be able to dive 2-3 weeks a year.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You don't "need" one. With that said, you should always analyze the tanks yourself. Don't take the dive shops word for it. I've gotten the "I analyzed it for you" response before, but when I say that I prefer to do it myself, they say "that's a good idea."

I've been on boats where tanks are provided as rentals. If the boat does not have an analyzer, then I'm not diving. Now if I had my own, I could do it and save the dive, but that's a hefty expense IMO. I'd rather take that money and buy a tank.

I haven't bought one because I expect whoever is doing the fills or providing tanks will have an analyzer.

No, you don't need one. Yes, you should have one. Although most boats/resorts will have analyzers it's a nice to have just in case. $200 for something that can save your life, worth it. Also, there are $7 CO detectors that I take with me on every trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any reputable and organizationally affiliated dive shop / dive op that offers nitrox _should_ provide divers with a reliable means to analyze the contents of cylinders to be used by nitrox divers. I'd like to say "will" or "must", but that's too much of an assumption. I've stayed at dive resorts that bring in premixed 32% that provide analyzers and require divers to individually verify O2 content and Max Op Depth for each nitrox tank and enter the tank data (usually including the tank serial number or shop tank ID#), date, diver name, and signature on a nitrox fill-log because even though they're telling you it's 32% they know that as a nitrox diver it is _your responsibility_ to verify tank contents.
If I were going to a dive resort or live-aboard, I'd be confirming in advance that a nitrox analyzer is available for diver use.

DSAO.
C.

A disclaimer: we sell them.

That said, I can't tell you how many times I have witnessed a divemaster(s) rushing people to get ready and in the water including analyzing their cylinders. Yes, they have an analyzer or two and they ALWAYS tell you they're calibrated because they don't want you to wait for it to return to 20.9. In my experience, more times than not, their calibration is off. Yours won't be.

IMHO: Personally, I'd get my own analyzer. For me, it's a matter of trust, and I've seen enough practice beyond my personal safety limits to trust a commercial dive op on anything. I may well be overtly paranoid, but my safety is my, and only my, responsibility. I'll never, ever outsource that.

Another thing: If you're going to dive nitrox on a standard Al80, why? To increase bottom time? To reduce SIs? To increase bottom time on your second, third or fourth dive of the day? To reduce post-dive fatigue due to repeated dives close to the NDL? If it's to increase bottom time, will you be carrying enough gas to stay inside min gas requirements?

My guess is that only a tiny percentage of all recreational Nitrox divers own their own analyzers. The dive resort, liveaboard, or other dive operation whose tanks you will be using always has an analyzer right there where you pick up the tanks, and just about everyone there will use that analyzer.

I suspect you will find a number of people on Scubaboard who will advocate owning your own analyzer, but in the real world of resorts, liveaboards, and other dive operations that cater to recreational divers like us, just about every diver there will use the on-site analyzer.

Reactions: RJP
As you know from the class, nitrox can kill you quite quickly at depth. Buy one. Don't ever trust anyone to test your tanks for you. Especially at resorts, which may be more casual with fill procedures.

Kind of surprised you'd ask, as the course makes the risk quite clear how suddenly toxicity can occur. I have a healthy fear of too much O2....

No, you don't need one because any operation offering nitrox must have one. If you are only diving a few times a year, you will not get your money's worth out of a sensor. It will need to be replaced after a few years regardless.

If you feel like you must have one, then go for it.

BTW, I sell them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom