New to Tel Aviv, looking for Diving club...community?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I started diving about a year ago, got certified in Chicago through PADI and I'm obsessed! I just moved to Tel Aviv and was wondering if anyone knew of any dive clubs or community events... I did some light internet research and all the information I could find in the Tel Aviv area was for private/tourist diving or stuff in Eilat. I would like to eventually dive often in Eilat, but looking for the locals here as well...

I want to get back in the water! :D

Hi Mickey,

I live in Jerusalem and recently completed the OW in Curacao. Now I am home and face the same situation as you.

I have done a few dives with Vista Azul, a small dive shop in Eilat. Adi there is a very friendly and helpful guy. Its not like the big shops, of which there are many. More informal. In a couple of weeks (after Pesach) I will be doing my AOW with him. I usually drive down Friday afternoon, do a couple of dives on Saturday, and hit the road back to Jerusalem at around 3:00 Saturday afternoon. Its around a 4 or 4 1/2 hour drive from Jerusalem, including a rest stop, would be a bit longer for you. Adi does rent equipment, though it is a bit of a hodge podge, again, not like the big operations. But when I walk into the big shops, I feel a little lost.

I am looking for a place to do a bit of diving in Tel Aviv. There are a few places that I found on the web, that I plan to check out soon.

I have no friends into diving, so I am looking for a dive buddy who speaks English well. I am not sure that I am ready to be a fully trained buddy, but I improve every time I dive, so I may want to branch off from guided dives and classes soon.

Send me a PM if you would like to try to coordinate search efforts.

Mickey
Don't forget that there is plenty of places to dive North of T-A. There's Ceasarea which is just a 45 minutes from T-A a really nice place to dive and a nice place to get aquainted with the Med Sea. Further north there a very nice place called the Dor Beach there you might need to get in touch with them before going there. If you want even further north there's the Hiafa area and I suggest "Putzker" Nahariya. If you don't own a car you can go there by train and they'll pick you up at the station. Good idea to make arrangements ahead of time. They are some nice folks and helpful also. The Med Sea, espically up north, is a very good place to dive not just Eilat. If you want to dive there's plenty of dive sites, wrecks, and you name it. Enjoy.
Rauven

In Tel Aviv there are a couple of dive shops located near the beach: Octopus and Sheba Yam. Both organize guided dives to the wreck of the "Zeev Hayam", and some other nearby sites.

Tel Aviv doesn't offer exhilarating diving, so as you were recommended, you may consider going further north or just hop to Eilat...

There aren't many dive clubs along the Med Sea coast, but you can find one in Cesarea, Naharia, Achziv, Michmoret etc. etc. Some of them only operate on weekends, others only seasonal and if you don't team with a buddy in advance it'll be difficult to find one by just showing up in a Mediterranean club. However, if you join a guided dive- no problem. All deep dive sites (such as Wrecks, canyons, submarine etc) involve diving from a boat, so they are guided dives anyway...

In Eilat it's a different story- diveable all year round, no season problem, usually no problem finding buddies by showing in club or posting notes on club's billboards.

Team up with local buddies? Your best chance is probably using the local "Tapuz" scuba forum- it's in Hebrew, but you can post in English and get info, team with buddies and also get a list of all dive clubs/shops with phone numbers etc here: http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_151904945.xls

Give it a try: http://diving.tapuz.co.il

In Tel Aviv there are a couple of dive shops located near the beach: Octopus and Sheba Yam. Both organize guided dives to the wreck of the "Zeev Hayam", and some other nearby sites.

Tel Aviv doesn't offer exhilarating diving, so as you were recommended, you may consider going further north or just hop to Eilat...

There aren't many dive clubs along the Med Sea coast, but you can find one in Cesarea, Naharia, Achziv, Michmoret etc. etc. Some of them only operate on weekends, others only seasonal and if you don't team with a buddy in advance it'll be difficult to find one by just showing up in a Mediterranean club. However, if you join a guided dive- no problem. All deep dive sites (such as Wrecks, canyons, submarine etc) involve diving from a boat, so they are guided dives anyway...

In Eilat it's a different story- diveable all year round, no season problem, usually no problem finding buddies by showing in club or posting notes on club's billboards.

Team up with local buddies? Your best chance is probably using the local "Tapuz" scuba forum- it's in Hebrew, but you can post in English and get info, team with buddies and also get a list of all dive clubs/shops with phone numbers etc here: http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/1_151904945.xls

Give it a try: http://diving.tapuz.co.il

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I am definitely going to give Tapuz a try. I went diving in Tel Aviv this weekend and I guess it's self explanatory why people don't like to dive there. I don't have a car so getting to Northern Med Sea sights is difficult but hopefully in time I'll make my way up there. I tried Eilat and it truly was great diving, I will go there as often as I can.

There is a place in the Marina in Tel Aviv. I forgot the name and phone number. call 144 or ask people around there. they'll know of it. Diving is not great there at all. Eilat is the place.

PM for further help.

Have fun and enjoy.

P.S. You may need a refresh if you've not dove within the past six months. Insurance is an obligation.

PM me if you are looking for diving buddies and don't mind a (near) beginner. I live near Tel Aviv, if it helps.
Also, I second Ceasarea. It's a really wonderful site to dive at.

I am going to be in Tel Aviv August 28th until September 2nd. Working Mon-Thu and have LATE flight on 2nd. So Sunday late afternoon or evening dives and Friday early morning are an option.

If anyone wants to do some evening shore dives. I dove outside the Marina in Tel Aviv before so I am familiar with conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom