New to the board, working on OW cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babyblue

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this board. I am working on my OW cert. I have three more OW dives to finish.
Will do my last three dives at Windy Point in Austin Texas.
I had to stop after my first dive due to exhaustion. Had the wetsuit on and boy was it hard to breathe. Also was using a regulator that I was not used to. Had a different brand during the confined water work and it was a little harder to draw air from the one I used for OW.
Hope to finish up the weeekend of the 29th of June.
Asked the instructor if I have to wear the wet suit and he said that I could either get a larger suit or go without. I may go down and snorkel just to test the water temp to see if I can do without since it restricted my breathing to a degree that bothered me.
Also did not care for the band around the neck- too tight as well.
I know this is a long post but I wanted to get your opinion on either getting a larger suit or being able to dive without out it. I did not think the water was that cool.
OK, could ya'll give me some feedback on this situation?
All your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Hope to be a regular poster here and hope to be certified soon.
I am also in the process of losing some more weight in hopes that it will help in my endurance as well.

Thanks
Babyblue:)

Scuba or otherwise on the net. I hope you meet as many nice people and learn as much as I have.

As for the suit... get a larger suit. Diving is no fun if you are cold.

It is a matter of comfort and protection! If you feel comfortable diving without one, and the water temp is warm (which I know it is in your area this time of year), and there are no dangers of personal injury such as coral, or aquatic life, then there is no reason why you couldn't go without one!:mean:

Why not finish your open water dives in warm water like in Mexico or the Cayman Islands. Warm water (82), great vis, great reefs and marine life. They both have special packages for quick get aways just for the open water cert dives 1 thru 4. You will be spoiled for life. You will love the adventures that diving can bring to your life. I will only dive in warm water (78 & up) because I do not like the confines of a wet suit.

Hi Blue,

Lake Travis is in the mid-80's right now. See the link below. On the platforms it'll be nicely in the 80's, but on your tours, you may go down to 50 feet or so, which will be decidedly chilly.

http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

As you'll be doing multiple dives, I would highly reccomend some type of thermal protection, and wouldn't be surprized if your instructor demands/expects that. Go for a suit, it needn't be very thick though!

I'll be DMing a class at Barstows/Windy Point this weekend - PM me if you'ld like to meet & shake hands!

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England USA. Have fun here and Dive Safe............

... to the boards! Dive Safe!:)

Kayla:)

OW cert is awsome threw padi I loved it. Hope you like diving. Welcome to the board:D

Thanks to everyone for their welcomes and the advice.
I guess I will opt for a larger and hopefully more breathable wetsuit.
I go back to finish my 3 OW dives at lake Travis on the 28th and 29th of June.
I want to practice, practice practice all my skills by diving as often as possible. Don't live that far from Lake Travis thankfully so I will be able to get there easily enough. Will just have to find a willing buddy who is understanding about a new diver and able to go slowly enough for me.

Again thanks for all your welcomes and I am greatful to have found a new board where I can come for answers to questions I know I will have as a new diver.

Thanks and Dive Safe

Karen

I did my OW Certification at Mansfield Dam and my AOW at Windy Point, so I am well acquainted with the water temperatures at Lake Travis. I highly recommend at least a 3mm wetsuit, but find one that you are comfortable with. Henderson makes some excellent wetsuits, and the Hyperstretches are fairly easy to get on and off. Your local dive shop should be able to assist you with that.

Welcome to the Board and I hope to dive with you sometime.

Ken :hi:

Back
Top Bottom