New TrueFin fins.... Any comments ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set I've been using quite a lot. Trying different spines and configurations.
Recently swapped back to a set of RK3/Super Rockets and they felt crap now that I'm used to the TF.

I haven't given my concerted opinion since I have yet to dive them in the configuration that matters to me: drysuit. I've been in water which is too warm for that to be necessary.
They ARE very different. The company that makes them might be more different still. I don't think I've ever received this level of customer service before.

I have a set I've been using quite a lot. Trying different spines and configurations.
Recently swapped back to a set of RK3/Super Rockets and they felt crap now that I'm used to the TF.

I haven't given my concerted opinion since I have yet to dive them in the configuration that matters to me: drysuit. I've been in water which is too warm for that to be necessary.
They ARE very different. The company that makes them might be more different still. I don't think I've ever received this level of customer service before.
Thanks for the input. How stiff can they get? I have quite a strong kick and hate it when a fin collapses under the pressure. That being said, I'm nursing a hurt back and am dying to get back into the water.

Thanks for the input. How stiff can they get? I have quite a strong kick and hate it when a fin collapses under the pressure. That being said, I'm nursing a hurt back and am dying to get back into the water.
The different spines determine at which point in the stroke they lock up. Once they are locked I can't think of a stiffer fin including Jets and Turtles.
I've tried all the spines and for me I actually prefer the yellow, which has the most articulation, because they give the most downward flex in flutter and least resistance on the frog return. The green (frog kick) ones were too stiff for me.
For me the big perks to these fins are how they fin when they aren't locked. Just little movements gets a very low effort smooth continuous motion, but a big frog kick will give you a lot of torque but you do need to wait for them to straighten out after the return.
It felt like the RK3/SR was a noodle after these.
If they have one downside it's back kicking, but also I'm not very good at that.
I'd ask anyone to name another fin which can do technical kicks and be folded in your luggage.

My negatives would be that I have broken spines by giant striding from +20ft in doubles. This is obviously way outside the normal use and yet the company is working on a solution. Also the initial feel of the spines locking is a lot like you are kicking a fixed object with the fin. That last point I'm starting to learn how to differentiate. I haven't taken them into a wreck to really get a feel for it but I have been doing shaft inspections with them.

I haven't taken them into a wreck to really get a feel for it but I have been doing shaft inspections with them.
Yeah, I live in cave country. I do back up from time to time, so that may be a real negative. I would love to see a video of them. Maybe @Truefin could give us a link???

If you back up using the edges of the fin they work just like any other, maybe better since the edge is tall.
If you use the flats they feel like any flexible fin.
I'm still learning to back up and also learning the fins themselves. I can reliably reverse, not at speed, but it's getting better.
I'll send you a link.

If you back up using the edges of the fin they work just like any other, maybe better since the edge is tall.
I'm still learning to back up and also learning the fins themselves. I can reliably reverse, not at speed, but it's getting better.
I'll send you a link.
Thanks. You should post that here! :D

The different spines determine at which point in the stroke they lock up. Once they are locked I can't think of a stiffer fin including Jets and Turtles.
Exactlly!

I've tried all the spines and for me I actually prefer the yellow, which has the most articulation, because they give the most downward flex in flutter and least resistance on the frog return. The green (frog kick) ones were too stiff for me.
I've settled on the blue (medium) spine for the big toe, and green (least articulation) spine for the little toe of mine.

For me the big perks to these fins are how they fin when they aren't locked. Just little movements gets a very low effort smooth continuous motion, but a big frog kick will give you a lot of torque but you do need to wait for them to straighten out after the return.
That is what I like too. but I like less articulation than you do.

Also the initial feel of the spines locking is a lot like you are kicking a fixed object with the fin. That last point I'm starting to learn how to differentiate.
That was distracting when I first got mine. It took a couple months to get where I could easily differentiate. I've used mine for ~70 dives now, mostly drysuit, and they are my favorites.

I'll send you a link.
That is the other reason I like them. The tall edge. I'm still perfecting my back fining, so take my comment on that with a grain of salt.

Bought a pair 2 months ago and have done 15 dives in SoCal and Belize. I like them a lot and have now sold my Jets. I can highly recommend them to anyone looking for a new type of fin.

There is another thread discussing Truefins that also has some review information.

I have only dived mine with the blue spines so far and liked them quite a lot. I will be trying them with the green spines on my next visit to Florida. I predominantly frog kick.

Yeah, I live in cave country. I do back up from time to time, so that may be a real negative. I would love to see a video of them. Maybe @Truefin could give us a link???

Are you still an active status instructor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom