New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys know what this mean don't you........ no more rum from me :wink:.
Especially as it's a breakable item, I really don't see people checking alcohol into their checked luggage.
A lot of the inbond duty free shops whether they sell perfume, liquor or other trinkets will have their sales adversely affected by this.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060811/lead/lead4.html
jamaicagleaner.com:
Airport liquor merchants hit hard
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Airport liquor merchants left high and dry [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]published: Friday | August 11, 2006[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WESTERN BUREAU: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Liquor[/FONT][/FONT] merchants at the Sangster International Airport reported significant loss in revenue yesterday as the United States Department of Homeland Security banned the carrying of liquids on to flights. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It has had (an) adverse effect on us, because there were a lot of passengers who could not be bothered with purchasing liquor, then to have it taken at the gate and checked," David Topping, manager of Jamaica Farewell, one of the four liquor stores in the airport told The Gleaner. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Topping, who is also co-chair of the Airports Tenants Association, said the situation worsened about 4:00 p.m. when they were further advised that none of the 250 passengers on Thomson Holidays charter flight FC4244, which was scheduled for Manchester, England, was being allowed to make any purchase whatsoever. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A woman just returned coffee and [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]cake[/FONT][/FONT] that she had purchased, the passengers going out on the England flight are not even being allowed to take gifts," he said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Richard Reed, vice-president of operations, Sangster International Airport, told The Gleaner that the request for the Manchester-bound passengers not to make any purchase was a decision taken by Thomson Holidays.[/FONT]

One more question: Does all of this mean that I can't purchase a bottle of rum on Grand Cayman and take it with me on Cayman Airways to Little Cayman? Does that mean I'm going to have to pay 5 bucks for a rum punch at the end of a day of diving? Now I'm really bummed out if that's the case!!

Barracuda2:
One more question: Does all of this mean that I can't purchase a bottle of rum on Grand Cayman and take it with me on Cayman Airways to Little Cayman? Does that mean I'm going to have to pay 5 bucks for a rum punch at the end of a day of diving? Now I'm really bummed out if that's the case!!
Yes - You can't buy Rum and CARRY it on. You can check it in your suitcase.

MEL-DC Diver:
They still do as of yesterday...
Sweet. I have no worries then. :laughing:

Barracuda2:
From my understanding of the newspaper article Barracuda, liquor may be purchased and then checked onto your luggage.

Just to be certain however i'd check the TSA website and your airline carrier's website.

Barracuda2:

If you can purchase it before checking your bags at the airport than you should be good. The ban is for passengers carrying liquids onto the plane in the main cabin. I haven't seen anything that says you can't put liquids in checked bags. But one person posted that the duty free shops are no longer selling alcohol or perfume. If that's not true, I apologize for spreading rumors.

howarde:
Yes - You can't buy Rum and CARRY it on. You can check it in your suitcase.

Well that's what I will do. It's only a 20 min. flight to LC; If I pad it well with t shirts and bathing suits in my luggage, it should make it; it's worth the try.

Barracuda2:
Well that's what I will do. It's only a 20 min. flight to LC; If I pad it well with t shirts and bathing suits in my luggage, it should make it; it's worth the try.
Flights between one of the Caymans and the other may not have as strict of regulations. These rules are for flights leaving from within the U.S.

a couple of years ago, i had an issue coming from Chile to the US - I had purchased "a few" bottles of wine and had put some in my case (and some in my hand carry) - the screeners in Chile told me I had to hand cary everything (not allowed to put the wine in the checked in bag).....

this was a couple of years ago - not sure the reason for this (or if it always happens or was just one of theose "rules for the moment") - but it would be a pain to have bought stuff, put in your case and then get told you can't check it in....and can't carry it !

........if someone travels soon with some checked in bottles, please let us know what happens !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom