New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar:
How will these new restrictions affect me bringing on 'duty free alcohol', being that if it's purchased in the 'safe zone' it should not be a problem? I have heard reports that mothers with baby formula must first 'taste it' to prove that it is baby formula. Will I have to 'taste my vodka' before they let me through with it?
At the moment... even liquids purchased in the "sterile area" are not being permitted on any aircraft. No outside beverages allowed (except baby formula)

Duty Free is not selling liquor or perfume.

OHHH!!!! OHHHHHH!!!
(stomping feet sounds here) WAAAA! WAAAAAAAAA! I ALWAYS !!!! buy duty free on the way home!!!!! MAN!!! that really makes me want to sign up and kick someones butt!!!
Not really, but it ticks me off anyhow. Those were really good prices for rum. And I always tried to pick up a couple of bottles on the way home. Kinda was part of the trip, so much so I never even got any guff from the boss lady, as it was so cheap she could not hardly complain now could she?
We leave bright and early tomorrow for our trip. We have spent a bit of time unpacking and repacking, re-weighing all the bags again. I hope it goes off fine. I am certainly glad I broke the trip up into two days on the way down, that way we have some latitude if we run into trouble.
Everything else seems to be in line for a great trip. including hurricanes. I'll post a report when I get a chance, as to what the TSA screening was like out of our airport.

According to American Airlines it is "currently " limited to liquids, gels Etc. so camera stuff and computers are fine for domestic flights, or other international flights as long as your not going to England to dive, and who would do that? right? US to Europe is a whole diffferent ball game currently.

We are headed towards St kitts/ St martins/Saba/Statia? area of South eastern Carribean. Not by choice but I'll let you all know when we come back, if it was worth it.
Note: We were bumped of our Turks and Caicos trip at the last minute, so we worked out this "plan Z" kinda trip, as we had never even considered this location in the past.

I'm not flying anywhere this month but if I were I'd freeze my water (deep freeze) and put it in a foam sleeve to keep it frozen while in the airport, sipping off the little that melts. Even if I couldn't get it past the keystone TSB I'd have some fun arguing that it's not a liquid and it's not on the prohibited list.

-Ben M.

Great idea to freeze it, except that it would take hours for it to defrost. I used to work for a Major airline and know they bring in a ton of profits from thier inflight sales.
This whole thing plays/falls right into thier hands, all the time hiding under the shield of "It's for your protection" I can already see the price of bottled water going up. As for me I am a beer drinker, so I expect that to go up as well. We are, after all, are a captive audience, after that door shuts for the last time.....If you wany to drink you have three options. Drink nothing, order a drink and pay your fine, or go to the lav, and make a small cup out of your hand. The last not being a very good idea IMHO.

jonnythan:
I hate to jump into a thread I've so heavily moderated, but I just wanted to toss this in regarding cell phones:

Cell phones have the potential to interfere with some instruments. By no means will pulling out a cell phone constitute a danger, much less bring the plane down.. so they're not a weapon like a firearm.

The FAA is considering allowing cell phones to be turned on and used during flight and will in all likelihood allow them pending testing.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/09/technology/personaltech/cellphones_inflight/?cnn=yes

I've been hearing of this for quite a while Jonny, but have yet to see it implemented...

It's almost like 'vaporware'.
I have heard though (not exactly sure of it) that cellphones can and do work during flight depending on the altitude of the plane, but problems develop because the user is travelling so fast, cell phone towers have a bit of difficulty handling the call?

Anyway there goes what little quiet there is on most flights!

jhbryaniv:
OK so not to long ago i remember alot of people saying we will do anything we have to as long as flying is safe. . . .

NOW that the govt are foiling plots to do harm . . . we are complaining about not being able to take our laptops or our camera gear on board??? What the Heck happened in a few years???

I guess in these situations we have two options be safe and put up with some tight security or not and we all know what happens with laxed security. . .

If your worried about your gear do what was mentioned earlier overnight your gear or get a flipping tough box to ship it in .

AMEN!

Back
Top Bottom