New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a private pilot, I was shortly trained on cell phone usage, in flight. Seems the problem it that at cartain altitudes above the earth, the cell phones simply has too many cells to use, and uses them all, tending to clog up the system as a result. After you get to cruising altitude in a commercial jet, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any signal at all as you would be "out of range" of most all terrestrial cell towers. I would also agree that the chances of a cell phone disrupting the flight instruments is a fallacy, but the FAA like always, errs on the side of saying you cannot do it until we are convinced that you can do it with out influencing anything else. Now.. that being said, you need to remember that the FAA still believes in Magnetos as the way to go. They are stuck in a paradigm that would make most intellegent folks shudder. They are so far behind the times as far as technology goes, its ridiculous! Because you cannot change anything until they say you can, leads to a condition where you cannot change no matter what, until they say you can, so we are stuck somewhere just above horse and buggy technology, except for home built aircraft.

What about those of us who wear contacts?
I assume we will no longer be permitted to carryon saline solution, in case our contacts become dehydrated on long flights, which is more likely now that water is banned.

I sure hope this ban doesn't become permanent.

The FAA moves at a glacial pace when it comes to easing regulations :wink:

The News this morning reports that the wait at security in Denver is only 10 minutes today. It seems like they've really gotten things together.

howarde:
At the moment... even liquids purchased in the "sterile area" are not being permitted on any aircraft. No outside beverages allowed (except baby formula)

Does this mean they do a second screening right before you get on the plane? If they still sell liquids in the sterile area (no one has confirmed to me they do) the only way to enforce this rule is to search people again right before walking down the jetway. Or prohibit all carry ons....

diverrick:
According to American Airlines it is "currently " limited to liquids, gels Etc. so camera stuff and computers are fine for domestic flights, or other international flights as long as your not going to England to dive, and who would do that? right? US to Europe is a whole diffferent ball game currently.

You may want to double check the computer part. On Rebreather World, someone in Europe commented that his dive computer was NOT allowed in carry on and they had to check it. I'm just restating what someone else claims but if it is true, you don't want to be caught unprepared. No comment was made about cameras.

I've always checked my toiletries and never had any problems with leaks. I'm headed to Little Cayman on Sept. 23rd. Because of all my video equipment, I have to check it all through; housing, cam, batts., and support stuff. (I clearly mark the batts. as UW light batts. because they are 2 sets of 8 industrial D cells shrink wrapped with a connection cord; kind of looks like a bomb with a fuse) So far, I haven't had any trouble on trips; I hope the same goes on this one. All my stuff is in a pelican hard case, well padded inside. Every time I get to a destination, I kind of hold my breath when I open the case concerned that something will be missing. Because of the very nature of the equipment, they always inspect the contents. I may try to carry on my cam on this trip since we can no longer take water or any other liquid on board.

webhead:
Does this mean they do a second screening right before you get on the plane? If they still sell liquids in the sterile area (no one has confirmed to me they do) the only way to enforce this rule is to search people again right before walking down the jetway. Or prohibit all carry ons....
They are selling drinks in the Sterile Area. They are doing secondary screening when boarding the plane, but AFAIK not full searches, only random screening.

I wouldn't be surprised if flight attendants confiscated any outside beverages - while in flight though.

howarde:
Maybe by then they'll be an approved water for bringing on board aircraft. like "TSA BRAND WATER" or something like that.

Why can't they have a vender right at the gangway entrance provide approved bottled water to passengers as they board? I think water on flights is important, especially for divers.

Barracuda2:
Why can't they have a vender right at the gangway entrance provide approved bottled water to passengers as they board? I think water on flights is important, especially for divers.
Water on flights is important for everyone. IT's very easy to dehydrate on a 2-3 hour flight, in a closed tube, with recycled air.

It sounds like the "better safe than sorry" approach. Apparently, just a few ounces of the "liquid explosive" planned for these terrorist attacks would blow up a plane.

I am sure that there will be some sort of "secure water" within a few days.

Also - I would bet that there isn't enough staff at any of the concourse convenience stores to accomplish "at the gate service"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom