New undies or heated vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My trusty SANTI BZ 400 is getting a little ratty after 5 years of solid use.

I was all set to replace them with the same stuff, but then got thinking that it might be time to get vest instead.

Any thoughts? And does anyone use the small SANTI battery? I want to fly with this thing, so smaller is better. Most of my dives are no more than 75 minutes, although I might do two or even three shorter ones in a day, especially when I go to BC.

Thanks!

A vest and what to go with it?

You do know they make a heated version of the BZ400? You already know it, just adds heat.

A vest and what to go with it?

You do know they make a heated version of the BZ400? You already know it, just adds heat.
New vest, old undies vs new undies, no vest.

And yes I do... also not trying to break the bank.

Heated vests are expensive due to the batteries. The vest and drysuit valve can be had for around $500. Batteries; the sky’s the limit.

Minor question, where’s the battery being mounted? Waist belt is fine but if mounting it on a rebreather you can’t easily get to the switch in some batteries — such as the Santi — nor see the glowing light (if fitted). Sometimes a proper switch such as a Light Monkey is better.

New vest, old undies vs new undies, no vest.

And yes I do... also not trying to break the bank.
Hard to say without actually knowing the undies current condition. How much life is left in them? If you are down to the last 20% of life, and you get a heated vest now, what happens in another year? Or maybe they are just fine and nothing more than broken in with lots of life left in them. It's a bit of a loaded question.

A related question…. I’ve a bunch of Forth Element undies which have served me well but are getting long in the tooth. Have the Santi heated vest and 18AH Light-for-Me batteries which works well.

Am looking at getting a made-to-measure BZ400 in the near future.

Would the panel recommend paying the $300 or so more for the heated version of the BZ400? Have always thought I’d use the normal heated vest with the BZ400 for “normal” conditions as it draws half the current of the BZ400 — 50W vs. 110W. Meaning it’s less heat and more battery life, whereas for v.cold conditions the additional heating capacity of the BZ400 would be better.

You don't have to run it full power.

I know some people who go for the heated vest. Warm the core, let the limbs chill. I tried that, didn't work. Pumping heat into my core made me nauseous. Used it a few times and confirmed it.
Took delivery of a heated BZ200 just in time for summer. I'm hoping it will cool off a little bit so I can try it. What little I have done in the house, I am happier with full heat instead of just core.

It's a bit of a loaded question.
Ya, they're probably 1/2 of their original loft... 600 dives and a bunch of washing... They aren't horrible.

A shop near me mentioned they have a set of 400 gsm made by some company called Rofos. Apparently they're basically a SANTI copy for about 1/2 the price. I'm trying them on tomorrow I think...

Heated vests are expensive due to the batteries. The vest and drysuit valve can be had for around $500. Batteries; the sky’s the limit.

Minor question, where’s the battery being mounted? Waist belt is fine but if mounting it on a rebreather you can’t easily get to the switch in some batteries — such as the Santi — nor see the glowing light (if fitted). Sometimes a proper switch such as a Light Monkey is better.
I'd stick it on my waist belt. Most of the guys I know that use them seem to flip them off and on... saves battery and often get too warm.

On a boat dive this season I saw one guy running a remote control lead down and up his arm to the wrist-mounted Pitkin(?) controller. This solves the problem of accessing a hard-to-reach large battery mounted on a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom