New Year’s Day diving - cold weather folks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that quite a few years ago. Did 2 dives and was the only one diving wet. Got a bit of hand frostbite, so won't do that again. I still dive throughout winter wet (40F water or colder), but one quickie 20 minute dive and use the 3 fingered mitts. We usually go to FL for 2-3 months, but not lately, so it's just too long to wait 'til May. To be honest, though it's really a piece of cake, it's not something I really look forward to, since I have to plan a lot regarding warmth. No point in buying a drysuit since we'll probably get back to the Florida thing.
I don't think New Years Day is particularly the coldest time here anyway--water temp.--wise at least. Water is probably colder in early March and the air temps. do nothing to help--may as well be January.

I'll be doing one dive on the first. I assume the water temperature will be somewhere in the 40's.:coffee:

Will do! Heard on the weather report the water temp is 37F.
It’s not New Year’s Day but today was the closest I could get locally as I could not get a dive buddy for New Year’s Day :)

Water was 41F at 20m but the temperature at the surface was a warm 50F, so not too cold compared to your dive.

19v1j6.jpg

D2-F26605-A8-F4-4-F70-9-C9-E-E8253477-DCE4.jpg

Enjoy your dive on New Year’s Day

Best wishes from the UK :)

Yesterday water was 40F so I assume we'll be in the 30s this year. I have dived in 33F water here--May 26, 2007--wet. I was doing the Deep course and she asked what area of the wreck I'd like to tour. I said the one that's quickest. Man what at safety stop that was.

Checked the nearshore marine forecast. Things are looking interesting for tomorrow. Waiting to see how this is going to affect us.

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

I plan to, where depends on surf conditions.

None of that frozen stuff down here, but overnight air will be mid 30s (cold for here), tomorrow air 50s (tad chillier), water 50s (normal)..., so not toasty warm either.

I'm down for the 80s tropical breeze version as well, how did I miss that memo.

(Edit: The water was 50 degrees, sunny, people sitting on the beach having picnics.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom