New Years Day @ Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was quite a bit of fun. I only got cold before I got into my drysuit while standing on the road looking down at the water wondering how sane I was for even being there on a cold windy day with an inch of snow on the ground. Once I got the undies and drysuit on I was toasty warm.

I think the water was 45 - 48 degrees. I had on a hood and neoprene gloves and was warm despite a leak from my neck seal. I would to it again anytime!

Y'all missed some great visibility! The drive wasn't terrible, took about an extra half hour coming from the south but most of the problem was the back roads once you got off at Napoleon Rd. I hear it wouldn't have been so easy if you were north of Detroit though.

We left the tents and heaters at home since there was so much wind in the forecast that they would have been useless and probably gotten damaged. It wasn't quite as windy around the quarry as I expected and as long as I had my hat and gloves on I was comfortable wearing just a t-shirt over expedition weight long johns with no coat. There was probably an inch or so of snow on the ground making the steps and docks a little interesting to traverse.

That was the first dive I had been on where I was truly glad to have the drysuit. The water was warmer than the air but brisk on my face and just watching the wetsuit guys get in sent a shiver down my spine. My computer showed 44-45 degrees with the warmer water near the tubes at 40 feet, some of the guys had 42 degrees for water temperature on their computers. I didn't want to go too deep because my sinuses were acting up and I didn't want to risk a reverse sqeeze so we maxed out at 40 feet. The coolest thing on the dive was hearing Don say my name through his regulator and being able to understand that was what he said. When he realized I could hear him he asked via voice and some hand signals if I wanted to stay at 40 feet and go out to the tubes to see Adam and Ken. I couldn't believe how easily I could understand him, the hand signals really weren't necessary we were probably 25 min into the dive and I'm thinking I was a little narced. Steve told me I was constantly checking my computer as we moved toward the tubes and at one point I had to tell myself nothing was coming out of the darkness of the deep end to get me. I was happy when we saw Ken and Adam though for a moment my mind was muddy enough I couldn't tell what they were and I felt a little fear rising until the shapes turned into divers and waved. Don called the turn and we headed back to the sanctuary of the shallows.

My reg was occasionally breathing wet though it could have been the simple fact that my lips were numb and not sealing well on the mouthpiece. I inhaled water a couple times resulting in a brief coughing fit but finally got to the point where I could simply drink what I was occasionally drawing into my mouth on an inhale. I remember being glad we were in fresh water and enjoying the crisp flavor of the quarry, my awareness of simple sensations was really turned on high that dive. We moseyed through the helicopter and Steve said he was cold so we headed back to the safety stop area where we re-met up with Ken and Adam. Don asked if I was game for 5 more minutes so we left Steve with Ken and Adam and cruised out around the bus and back to the safety stop. It felt good to fly through the cold clear water, it was worth every bit of effort to get there and set up/tear down in cold windy conditions.

Mike's chili after the dive was heaven sent and hanging around the office listening to the stories told by other divers was a great ending to a fun day spent with friends. I wish my husband would have joined us but temperatures in the 30's combined with 25+mph winds doesn't spell good time to him. He's already got the t-shirt for that one and clearly has more sense than I do LOL! One day the call of the warm bed will overwhelm the call of the cold water and wind for me as well but for now I'll answer the call of the water.

Happy New Year to all!
Ber :lilbunny:

I really missed the NYD dive. All the time I was posing the bride and groom for picts, I was thinking of you who were hardy enough to make the scene. The weather wasn't as bad as predicted, and had it not been for the wedding contract, I would have been there. I really love great viz at Gilboa and was a bit envious when I heard about the 75'. Also the post dive conversations in the office, eating chili and drinking coffee is also a great time.

I wanna try again in 2 weeks. That is a week from this Saturday. That would be January 12. My roommate will be home and if its scary driving, he can take the wheel.

Anyone else up for a dive????

Hey, keep me posted on those who can make it on Jan. 12; I am interested. I'll fight my way into my old dry suit for that day until I purchase the new one I have in mind. Happy New Years all.:D

Thanks for the dive report. I was wondering how things went.

Y'all missed some great visibility! The drive wasn't terrible, took about an extra half hour coming from the south but most of the problem was the back roads once you got off at Napoleon Rd. I hear it wouldn't have been so easy if you were north of Detroit though.

We left the tents and heaters at home since there was so much wind in the forecast that they would have been useless and probably gotten damaged. It wasn't quite as windy around the quarry as I expected and as long as I had my hat and gloves on I was comfortable wearing just a t-shirt over expedition weight long johns with no coat. There was probably an inch or so of snow on the ground making the steps and docks a little interesting to traverse.

That was the first dive I had been on where I was truly glad to have the drysuit. The water was warmer than the air but brisk on my face and just watching the wetsuit guys get in sent a shiver down my spine. My computer showed 44-45 degrees with the warmer water near the tubes at 40 feet, some of the guys had 42 degrees for water temperature on their computers. I didn't want to go too deep because my sinuses were acting up and I didn't want to risk a reverse sqeeze so we maxed out at 40 feet. The coolest thing on the dive was hearing Don say my name through his regulator and being able to understand that was what he said. When he realized I could hear him he asked via voice and some hand signals if I wanted to stay at 40 feet and go out to the tubes to see Adam and Ken. I couldn't believe how easily I could understand him, the hand signals really weren't necessary we were probably 25 min into the dive and I'm thinking I was a little narced. Steve told me I was constantly checking my computer as we moved toward the tubes and at one point I had to tell myself nothing was coming out of the darkness of the deep end to get me. I was happy when we saw Ken and Adam though for a moment my mind was muddy enough I couldn't tell what they were and I felt a little fear rising until the shapes turned into divers and waved. Don called the turn and we headed back to the sanctuary of the shallows.

My reg was occasionally breathing wet though it could have been the simple fact that my lips were numb and not sealing well on the mouthpiece. I inhaled water a couple times resulting in a brief coughing fit but finally got to the point where I could simply drink what I was occasionally drawing into my mouth on an inhale. I remember being glad we were in fresh water and enjoying the crisp flavor of the quarry, my awareness of simple sensations was really turned on high that dive. We moseyed through the helicopter and Steve said he was cold so we headed back to the safety stop area where we re-met up with Ken and Adam. Don asked if I was game for 5 more minutes so we left Steve with Ken and Adam and cruised out around the bus and back to the safety stop. It felt good to fly through the cold clear water, it was worth every bit of effort to get there and set up/tear down in cold windy conditions.

Mike's chili after the dive was heaven sent and hanging around the office listening to the stories told by other divers was a great ending to a fun day spent with friends. I wish my husband would have joined us but temperatures in the 30's combined with 25+mph winds doesn't spell good time to him. He's already got the t-shirt for that one and clearly has more sense than I do LOL! One day the call of the warm bed will overwhelm the call of the cold water and wind for me as well but for now I'll answer the call of the water.

Happy New Year to all!
Ber :lilbunny:

DSCF0642.jpg

Looks like I missed some fun. I had a guest and don't get much time each year to spend with her so I opted not to go. I will continue my annual NYD tradition next year... Thanks for posting the pics...in one it looks like the wind blowing rather hard to chop up the water.

Until next time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom