Newbie in Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reg choices are good. What I have.

For now, you should look into 7mm or perhaps a semi-dry.

The reg choices are good. What I have.

For now, you should look into 7mm or perhaps a semi-dry.

Thanks! We were lucky to find a good deal on the 70th anniversary version that was on closeout. Was only a "few" dollars more than a Core LX.

That is the way we are leaning as well. My wife is pretty sold on the "Farmer Jane" setup. She doesn't want to deal with the extra techniques for dry suit right away, plus the money. She also is a big fan of having two separate pieces that you can use individually if its not so cold. I'm much warmer blooded and I see value in owning both in the long run. So that is probably the short term plan for the next 12 months. Money will become a lot more free after that (no more student loans), and upgrading to new drysuits won't be a strain at all then.

Last edited:
A 7mm wet will be just fine dry suits are really nice but definitely not a necessity. I have both dry (dui clx450) and 7mm fourth element” semi dry” which is still just a wetsuit. The best for your money is a 7mm that fits well for you.

Welcome to SB. Lots of good people hang out here where you can learn.

Where are you in WI? By your description, I'm guessing Sheboygan/Plymouth/Kohler. I threw Kohler in because you said you were both Engineers. I grew up in Plymouth, WI.

Your enthusiasm is admirable, but you need to just get in the water, go diving, and try out the local conditions. More classes are a fine idea, but time in the water is going to be your best option initially. If you can dive with people who have good skills, you can watch and learn from them. Buoyancy isn't something that you figure out in a classroom. Elkhart Lake has pretty good vis, but also a lot of boat traffic. I think motors aren't allowed on Sundays, and you will need a dive flag. If you are there during the heavy traffic times, the police boat will look out for you, but I've had my flag runover by ski boats there as well. I have entered from the beach at Osthoff without trouble.

Redgranite Quarry, in Redgranite, (2 hours from you) is hit or miss with visiblity, but post dive breakfast/lunch at the Curve In Cafe never disappoints. Wazee Lake/Lake Wazee in Black River Falls is also popular, but I'd pick Fortune Pond in Crystal Falls, MI for a slightly shorter drive, and amazing visibility. There is a dive club in the Port Washington area that is called Deep Six Scuba. They are active and dive in many different places.
Lake Michigan is an awesome option, but it is really easy to get over your head in a hurry. Port Deco Divers was already mentioned. Shipwreck Adventures also has a fill station, and charter boats in Two Rivers and Milwaukee. Their hours may not be as regular as Port Deco Divers, but they offer training through CCR Trimix.
I have a compressor/fill station in my garage. More tanks is going to be your easiest option.

Good Luck

Where are you in WI? By your description, I'm guessing Sheboygan/Plymouth/Kohler.

You have guessed correctly good sir.

Your enthusiasm is admirable, but you need to just get in the water, go diving, and try out the local conditions. More classes are a fine idea, but time in the water is going to be your best option initially. If you can dive with people who have good skills, you can watch and learn from them.

That seems to be the general consensus I am hearing, with exceptions made for learning dry suit and a few other technical skills, were we to need them. I know I have learned the most actually diving thus far, I didn't realize that these classes utilized so much classroom time. I thought they would be mostly in-water exercises.

Elkhart Lake has pretty good vis, but also a lot of boat traffic. I think motors aren't allowed on Sundays, and you will need a dive flag. If you are there during the heavy traffic times, the police boat will look out for you, but I've had my flag runover by ski boats there as well. I have entered from the beach at Osthoff without trouble.

Great info on Elkhart, I know the viz always looks great from topside there. My wife's fear of turtles is definitely inflated, but I don't want to push her too far out of her comfort zone. She's doing a great job getting comfortable with diving and I want to follow her pace. The higher viz at Elkhart would definitely ease her nerves with inland lake diving. Which is funny, as our first couple dives in Belize only had viz of 10-20 feet (we were there when Hurricane Nate passed close by) and she took right to it.

Otherwise, a lot of good info there, thanks! We are going to check out Port Deco Divers next week to get acquainted with them.

Elkhart is hit or miss depending on the algae blooms or whatever. Vis could be 20ft one week and 3 the next, but you aren't far from the lake so if vis sucks you can go home. There are a lot of fish, but you'll be hard pressed to see a turtle of any kind. The last time I was in Elkhart Lake was 2014.
As I mentioned in the other post, Fortune Pond is a sure thing for awesome visibility. I wouldn't rule out Lake Michigan, but it can be overwhelming. There are some shallower/beginner wrecks that will have comfortable temps. I've done many dives off of the boat that Port Deco Divers now has. It is a very comfy boat to dive off of, but be prepared to do a back roll off the side for entry.

The DRIS boat out of Hammond, IN allows a giant stride. No back roll. I’m glad you mentioned the back roll thing about the Port Deco boat!

There a number of southern Lake Michigan wrecks at 35-60ft that are very newbie friendly.

The DRIS boat out of Hammond, IN allows a giant stride. No back roll. I’m glad you mentioned the back roll thing about the Port Deco boat!

There a number of southern Lake Michigan wrecks at 35-60ft that are very newbie friendly.

There are other boats in the Milwaukee area that are giant stride friendly and don't require driving through Chicago traffic to get to. Len-Der and Alma come to mind, but the Milwaukee wrecks are slightly deeper than some of the wrecks in the Belgium/ Port Washington area. Like I said, The Little Alexandria is a great boat for diving, just be aware a back roll will be necessary. When I talked to TJ (Port Deco Divers) and looked at the map, there are some good beginner wrecks in that area that other charter boats may not get to because they are too far away. Not worth missing good dive opportunities because you are nervous about a back roll. My other bit of advice for the Lake Michigan dives, unless you are positive you don't get seasick, is to take Bonine or other similar seasickness medicine before you get to the boat. Being seasick is awful, and it is very hard to convince yourself to get off the boat to go diving if you are seasick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom