newbie specifics for Coz visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have spent hours reading everyone's threads - thanks so much for posting your experiences...a bit overwhelming but nice to see that most people, regardless of where they stay or who they dive with, have a great time! Now for my questions:

We are both experienced divers (1000++) and dive regularly but our main aim is to relax and take photos so I am thinking that maybe some of those "expert" level dives, though I'm sure nice, might not be our best choice? Does anyone have experience with an operator who caters to uw photo people? We obviously want a nice variety, but don't want to sacrifice camera time too often!

Dive operators - looks like there are many good ones so I am willing to take a chance, but if anyone has info on: We like a very good briefing and then to be left alone mostly. If there is guide we like someone who is a great critter spotter and who knows that you don't need to cover the entire dive site in one dive! Slow is better.

Any dive sites that you wouldn't miss (based on sea conditions of course) if you were taking pics?

A hotel that is clean, has good showers, a nice pool, close to restaurants/bars and preferably with a nice view of the sunset (or close to a restaurant/bar with a view for chilling at the end of the day)? Rooms don't have to be glam - we aren't spending time in there. Don't think we want all-inclusive, but haven't discounted it.

Travel time = late August - late September.

One possibility is to get a private boat.

I did that last November in Cozumel and it was amazing. Our group was 4 people and the private boat was the same price as a full boat.

My most recent trip to Coz was last month and we were only two divers so I just signed on with the boat. It was nothing like the private boad as you can imagin.

It is not as expensive as you might think. To sign on and dive with a group, it is typically $75 for a two tank dive. If you decided to treat yourself to a private boat with you your buddy and your own private guide it would be $150 per person for a two tank dive (the minimum fee for a six pack boat is the fee for four divers at $75 each).

Anyone else have any info on a good deal for a private boat for two? I would like to hear it too since if I go back I will go private for sure.

C

Thanks, but that isn't what we are looking for. I don't mind diving with others and this time we have other things to spend $$ on than the luxury of a dedicated vessel.

I did think of another question - anyone find a particularly useful web site? There seem to be thousands out there! I have checked out "insiders" thanks to a link in another thread...

If you do go with a smaller operator/6 pack boat, you will quite likely find yourself with a group of divers that have a variety of dive abilities and interests, unless you are part of a group that have similar interests. You might be better off with a larger operator who has several boats that can make sure you are on a boat of all advanced divers.

In spite of that, I would contact Christi at http://www.bluextseadiving.com/. I went out with her operation in March and had quite a nice time.

We also did 10 days of diving with Blue XT-Sea a couple of months ago and had a great time. It was the first time out with my Nikon D100 in an Aquatica housing. I flooded my flash bulkhead first day so had to shoot natural light the whole trip. Can be challenging due to currents and a bottom that goes from reef to sand very quickly. There is a good camera shop on island but mainly carries Sea&Sea so bring spares of needed parts. All the crew and other divers where great on putting up with what came to be called the “fat spider” due to the strobe arms. I suggest you bring a soft insulated cooler for storing your camera and bring a litter bottle of tap water for rinsing your camera. The dive guides where all great on finding stuff and pointing it out, but much of your shooting is done “on the fly”.

One important factor that hasn't yet been mentioned but one you should consider when coming to Cozumel for diving & u/w photography is that this is a driftdive destination. As such, dive guides and groups "go with the flow" of the currents and often times this does not lend itself to accomodation of u/w photographers as much as they would like. If currents are moving and folks are drifting all group members are asked to stay together so you might not be able to frame up some of those shots properly. So even though you really don't mind going with other folks, you may want to consider alternatives to ensure you as a photographer can take your time on the drift and get the shots you want.

In addition to renting your own boat as suggested in a previous post, there are 2 other options to accomodate your needs:
1) sign up with a regular trip but pay for your own special DM. This way you can be away from the principal dive group moving at your own pace and you've got your own guy with extra eyes helping you find the critters
2) check for dive operators who offer afternoon trip departures...like at 1 or 1:30 for a 2 tank trip. There are several operators who offer the PM trips and typically you will draw a smaller group who will often times even pitch in and help you find stuff. Alot of times also...especially in low season, a PM trip will go out with only 2-4 persons on the boat so you essentially get a private boat for much less $$ !!
Have fun and enjoy your time in Cozumel!!

Back
Top Bottom