Newbie stupid question of the day . . 1st Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two quick comments:

1. Don't get a DIN 1st stage if you're going to be traveling with it. Yes, there is a DIN adaptor, but it adds length to the 1st stage, so that its more likely to dig into the back of your head or your back. Stick with a standard yoke reg if you travel to dive and will be using rental tanks.

[Concern about o-rings is unnecessary. If you're that concerned, replace the o-ring before you install the regulator...they're inexpensive.]

2. High-quality regulators do not 'wear out'. Consider buying used. High-end Apeks, ScubaPro, Atomic, or AquaLung 1st stages will all meet your needs. In most cases, variation in their performance will be imperceptible to you unless you are doing extremely unusual diving. Buying a used high-end reg can allow you to get a very nice product at a discounted price, and it will meet your needs for years to come.

Just a thought,

Best,

Doc

Betty,

If you would consider a NEW Oceanic FDX10 w/ Delta 4.1 or something similar...... :wink:

Better yet, check your pm's..... :D

I dive Atomic and am finding that there are DIN tanks world wide (more or less). If you want the benefits of DIN, then don't let your traveling inhibit that desire.

Most of my student gear though is Zeagle. You can buy both DIN and Yoke parts and switch depending on what you'll be diving. I am thinking you won't have a problem either way!

As DOC Intrepid stated, don't buy DIn if you travel to do your diving. Go with a DIN regulator is you plan to cary everything with you for every dive. This is because you will also have to change out the valves on your scuba cylinders to work with the DIN valve. That will be an additional $50 to $60 per cylinder.

I srcond buying gear used off ebay, ScubaBoard, DiveMatrix, etc. Just get it service before you use it and everthing will be good. Do teh research before you buy though so you don't end up with an antique that you will not be happy with or is un-servicable.

This is because you will also have to change out the valves on your scuba cylinders to work with the DIN valve. That will be an additional $50 to $60 per cylinder.

Unless she is diving just AL, most of the new valves come with the insert that is removable, no? Did I miss her posting that she dove AL only or are you just saying this as alot of travel rental gear is AL?

I srcond buying gear used off ebay, ScubaBoard, DiveMatrix, etc. Just get it service before you use it and everthing will be good. Do teh research before you buy though so you don't end up with an antique that you will not be happy with or is un-servicable.

Sometimes yes. By the time you get it serviced and weigh in the fact that you don't have any warranty, go new if you shop and it is close in price, say 10% - 20% difference, no?

I remember many years ago being given a first and second stage which matched what I was already diving. It was yoke and mine was DIN. Perfect, I thought and I brought in the reg for servicing. WOW: $198.00 for the service without an upfront estimate. Even then, they did not replace a part (diaphragm) because they wanted to keep the price down. :homealone: The part failed on my first dive and I was sucking water! It was then I learned to service my own regs!

Unless she is diving just AL, most of the new valves come with the insert that is removable, no? Did I miss her posting that she dove AL only or are you just saying this as alot of travel rental gear is AL?

I don't know, I don't have any "new" AL cylinders. I also doubt that any dive operator where people normally go on vacation is going to have any "new" cylinders either. Reference post by DOC Intreped above.

Sometimes yes. By the time you get it serviced and weigh in the fact that you don't have any warranty, go new if you shop and it is close in price, say 10% - 20% difference, no?

Maybe if you buy a realitively new regulator like the Sherwood SR1, but if you buy an older tried and true like a ScubaPro Mk 10/G-250 than probably not. I picked up a Kerby Morgan Superflow 350 for close 50% of the retail price and with parts and service it is still nowhere near the new cost.

Warranty? Dude there only good for the first year after you purchase the regulator. Unless you get one of those "parts for life" regulators, what difference does it make? Are you going to buy a new regulator every year? Not me. Most of mine are over 20 years old and work just fine.

The most important question has already been asked: Why do you want AI computer? Want – because it certainly is not something one needs to have. Wanting is ok but at 53 dives you might not yet have everything else a diver needs more :wink:

I see you mark East Coast for your location. You say you are happy with your Titan, and you’d like DIN. Do you own your own tanks yet? I would say, save your money on the AI computer for a few more dives yet, SPG work great. Dive your fine regulator, decide on further regulator/s (if needed) first, decide on tanks (if you have not), maybe even on few more pieces of gear and then reconsider the AI computer.

In my experience, diving mostly East Coast, DIN regulators rock and most of my tanks have Pro valves that work with both DIN/Yoke valves. I have both Aqualung and Apeks regs (Legends have two HP ports, Apeks DS4:s only one), I love both. I have absolutely no problem using DIN regs on vacations, I don’t find that the adaptor adds that much length to the first stage (there are few different models available too). On the other hand, I hate digging out blowing o-rings in the tropics just that I am ready to escape the sweltering sun into the ocean, I love that I do not need to do it with my own tanks at home.

Oh yeah... the AI.

I LOVE MINE. Wireless AI is even better. Easier to check means you'll check it more often. Got to love that. :D

I don't mean to pick on Tech divers for their input, after all they do have extra training for what they do. However, if you are and plan to be a Recreational diver, keep in mind Tech divers are like Mac users in that they are absolutely sure they are correct.

That said, Recreational divers have the advantage of a great deal of gear types and configurations available. If you like AI, go AI. Personally I love it. If you feel you need a backup gauge fine, but as stated before you will probably need a different first stage. I don't use one, and of the computer problems I've had over the years (or been near), none have ever failed during a dive with the exception of a transmitter failure on a hoseless causing loss of tank pressure info. I'm of the hose type AI group - Suunto Cobra, Aeris Atmos ai - as I don't care for gauges on my wrists.

As for tank o-rings, I've never seen one "blow" during a dive. It's not unusual to see a fine stream of bubbles especially on rental gear, but if you check your gear beforehand this should never be an issue. DIN valves also use an o-ring seal so don't be misled there. I have both DIN and yoke valves on tanks. I use the DIN high pressure steels for cold water, but for warm water and travel AL tanks suit nicely and are nearly standard worldwide with few exceptions.

Now, if you want to eventually expand into Tech diving and are purchasing gear, plan for that. If not, enjoy the choices available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom