Newer, but better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems the consensus here is that newer regs may breath easier and are adjustable. Does it really make all that much of a difference? I can't say I'm ever exhausted from breathing my SE2 even after 5-6 tanks.

I suppose this is all just a moot point until I try out a newer reg for myself. I'm not really sure I want to though. I might like it and then have to drop the $$$ on a high end model. For now Ill stick with my chevy, cheap tequila, and my Conshelf.

I appreciate the responses though. Good gouge all around.

mmadiver:
It seems the consensus here is that newer regs may breath easier and are adjustable. Does it really make all that much of a difference? I can't say I'm ever exhausted from breathing my SE2 even after 5-6 tanks.

It's like driving your Chevy and driving a new Mercedes.
The Chevy will get you wherever you need to go, no problem, but the new Mercedes will get you wherever you need to go more comfortably.
And yes, you may end up buying a new reg once you tried one. :wink:

mmadiver:

What consensus are you talking about? Some people like their new regs, others who dive the older regs (myself included) prefer those. My SP metal 2nd stage is adjustable, and it's at least 25 years old.

The car analogy just doesn't work. New cars really are better, and safer, and more reliable, etc. No new reg is safer than an old conshelf or (most models) SP that's been rebuilt. Old regs don't wear out, either. A rebuilt MK10 that's 20 years old will breathe every bit as well as the day it was new. Cars, on the other hand, definitely do wear out....

mattboy:
The car analogy just doesn't work. New cars really are better, and safer, and more reliable, etc. No new reg is safer than an old conshelf or (most models) SP that's been rebuilt. Old regs don't wear out, either. A rebuilt MK10 that's 20 years old will breathe every bit as well as the day it was new. Cars, on the other hand, definitely do wear out....

Not if they are rebuilt every two years or after 50 hours of service. They would be as perfect as our older regs....:D

mattboy:
The car analogy just doesn't work.

An analogy doesn't have to work on all levels. My analogy was in that both get the job done, but one was simply more comfortable.

these are my regulators [five Scubapro MK25S600s]...
there are many others like them, but this set is mine [Lucille]...

Personally I would prefer the Model A to the new hummer... its only based on a mid size pickup chassis...
I dive a SP Mk25/S600 or a set of DS4/(x)tx 50s.. I prefer the Apeks to the SP, but I think the adjustment is a major waste of money unless its your backup 2nd stage. Someone said its nice to detune it when you splash so it doesn't free flow... I don't know about you but I (ok Ill admit USUALLY) splash with the reg in my mouth. Why would I ever want it more difficult to breath? Ok, I detune my backup which is under my chin... unless Im on it, but thats it. I do prefer balanced 2nd stages, as I can (usually) get a better cracking pressure, and I dont have to mess with those damned small lock nuts.

A couple of years ago a relative of mine died leaving a bunch of dive gear. His widow gave me a big box of stuff and said to either sell it, use it or dump it. Included were several sets of regs, wetsuits, etc. I'd been thinking about scuba for several years since I had a couple of guys who worked for me who were divers and they were trying t get me started. I had recently retired and this combination gave me the prodding to go for it. I took one set of regs to the local LD and told them to rebuild them. They were a Dacor 950, a Dacor XL primary and a Dacor Olympic 400 octo. All were beatiful inside and the LDS had all the parts to do the job for around $150. I started ocean diving right after I got my C-card mostly in South Florida and Key Largo. These old regs are great but a little heavy because of all the metal. I can deal with that. I recently got the urge because I knew that one day the Dacors would not be able to be rebuilt again because there are no diaphragms around. Most of the other replaceable parts can be interchanged. So I bought an Oceanic rig which has a lot of plastic. Actually I like the old Dacors better. The LDS adjusted them so nicely that they breath a lot easier than the new ones. I'll continue to use the new set but I'm keeping the Dacors around just in case a problem pops up with the new set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom