Newly certified diver from Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottLMalone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got my certification on a trip to Jamaica. I will be diving again in June, but I curious if anyone else in a cold weather state ever dives at indoor pools to the practice?

I just got my certification on a trip to Jamaica. I will be diving again in June, but I curious if anyone else in a cold weather state ever dives at indoor pools to the practice?

Oh, heck, yes! Just got certified in early October. I've spent a lot of time in the pool this winter, tweaking stuff, as well as just having fun. I didn't want to let my gills dry out! :D A few times I've piggybacked on OW classes my shop was doing, and other times, a buddy and I went to another local shop that will allow divers in its pool when they're not using it for classes ($15/hour).

But then, I'm not a warm water only diver. Went down to Mermet Springs in southern IL several weeks ago for my first cold(er) water dives. My local quarry is open this weekend for cold water diving since there's no ice, and I'll be diving on Saturday in 30-something degree water, although the air temp will be in the high 50s. I dive dry.

Oh, heck, yes! Just got certified in early October. I've spent a lot of time in the pool this winter, tweaking stuff, as well as just having fun. I didn't want to let my gills dry out! :D A few times I've piggybacked on OW classes my shop was doing, and other times, a buddy and I went to another local shop that will allow divers in its pool when they're not using it for classes ($15/hour).

But then, I'm not a warm water only diver. Went down to Mermet Springs in southern IL several weeks ago for my first cold(er) water dives. My local quarry is open this weekend for cold water diving since there's no ice, and I'll be diving on Saturday in 30-something degree water, although the air temp will be in the high 50s. I dive dry.

From where you are located I am guessing you are diving in Kankakee this weekend? I am in NW Indiana myself.

Welcome to SB and congratulations on getting your diving certification. I wish there was a place around here to go practice diving. I live in northern Maine and have only ever been diving in Florida. Of course, I've only been certified just under 2 years but hopefully I will be able to meet up with some divers from my state and get in some more local diving this summer. I am however leaving for Jamaica on Sunday to do some diving over there. Should be an awesome time.

Congrats on the certification! I'm in Indy and have never done any dives in Indiana or the continental US for that matter (have dove in Hawaii.) Think practice is great if you feel you need it. After diving so much in the Caribbean, I can't see myself going to a pool just to practice. It just wouldn't be the same!

Think you'll be diving Lake Michigan anytime in the future?

Going from tropical waters only to Lake Michigan? :D

Welcome to SB and congratulations on getting your diving certification. I wish there was a place around here to go practice diving. I live in northern Maine and have only ever been diving in Florida. Of course, I've only been certified just under 2 years but hopefully I will be able to meet up with some divers from my state and get in some more local diving this summer. I am however leaving for Jamaica on Sunday to do some diving over there. Should be an awesome time.

Ocho Rios at the Sandals. Great Dive Center and people. Say Hello Andre and Geno.

Congrats on the certification! I'm in Indy and have never done any dives in Indiana or the continental US for that matter (have dove in Hawaii.) Think practice is great if you feel you need it. After diving so much in the Caribbean, I can't see myself going to a pool just to practice. It just wouldn't be the same!

Think you'll be diving Lake Michigan anytime in the future?

I have been diving in Cozumel and the Dominican Republic prior to gaining certification in Ocho Rios last month. I am looking forward to some local diving this summer including lake Michigan. I plan on getting my advanced open water back in the Dominican in June. I imagine a dry suit course will be needed soon for the Lake though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom