Newly certified diver from Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or a 7mm. I'll be doing deep and wreck classes on Lake Michigan as part of SDI Advanced this summer before a Lake Huron (Thunder Bay) wreck diving trip in late July.

Ocho Rios at the Sandals. Great Dive Center and people. Say Hello Andre and Geno.
I'm going to be staying at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in Montego Bay, Jamaica and will be diving with Dressel Divers right there on the property. But if I do make it over to Great Dive Center in Ocho Rios, I will pass along your message.

I have been diving in Cozumel and the Dominican Republic prior to gaining certification in Ocho Rios last month. I am looking forward to some local diving this summer including lake Michigan. I plan on getting my advanced open water back in the Dominican in June. I imagine a dry suit course will be needed soon for the Lake though.

You hit this right on the nail. Save some money and buy a good dry suit. I dive locally year round and find that the dry suit is preferable, even in the summer. I personally would try to meet up with some experienced drysuit divers who can mentor you in the use of the suit and pass on the course. You'll quickly discover that the time underwater is the real training for learning to dive dry.

If you are from NW Indiana you might look into Whitestar and Gilboa quarries as these are excellent places to log some dives between your trips. If you're on facebook you might also check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew group. They hold a spring and summer dive weekend at Gilboa that might help you meet some other local divers. Good luck!

Not just indoor dive pool in Ft Wayne - the 2 pools are something like 20-25' deep. Friend has been there and said they were really neat.

I think diving in a pool is a great way to practice trim, buoyancy, and propulsion skills. Ive seen a few shops that allow current and/or former students tag along on their pool sessions for free or a small charge. Maybe look for a local shop to take an additional class and ask if you can join in on their pool sessions even after finishing the class. Starting a relationship with a local dive shop really helps. Its actually how I am currently satisfying the need to dive during the winter until my drysuit comes...3 weeks left.

One caveat: if you plan to rent a drysuit, not buy your own you will need the drysuit cert.

Welcome to Scubaboard!
Our LDS offers pool time during their weekly rental to those wanting to practice skills, check new gear, or just have some fun.
I do not use the offer much, but when I do it is to work on buoyancy, trim, back-finning,etc.
I will be off to Cozumel with my daughter next month, but for for winters without southern travel, and where (like this year), the local ice (or lack thereof) will not be conducive to ice diving, the pool is a welcome way to stay wet until the spring when the regular dive season starts up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom