Next S/W Version feature request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given than most divers can't hold a stop accurately without holding a line, 10', 20' 15'... It's all just a guide for a safety stop anyway.

Even on a dive with a small amount of mandatory deco, whether you do that stop at 10' or 20' really has a minimal effect on TTS... And regardless of where the diver does that final stop is done (above 20'), the computer will take that into account...

...I think they probably left the "safety stop" window relatively wide from 7ft down to 23ft partly because it removes screen clutter, but also to remove the "pressure" put on a diver from feeling like they have to abide by the stop depth and if they go shallower that they may get bent...
My old Mares Puck has a safety stop window that ranges "between 2.5 and 6 m in depth (8 - 19 ft)". So it's not just Shearwater having a wide window, it's probably more of an industry standard applicable to recreational modes.

...Given than most divers can't hold a stop accurately without holding a line, 10', 20' 15'... It's all just a guide for a safety stop anyway..
I applaud @MargaritaMike for focusing on a narrow safety stop window depth. I believe all divers (not just tech) should strive to be competent at maintaining an intended depth. Unfortunately I'll have to agree with @Stoo in that many divers cannot adequately hold a stop. Fortunately the consequences of not being able to hold a 15ft +/- 1ft safety stop are not dire when confined to the limits of recreational NDL dives. We were all newbie divers once and very likely struggled with buoyancy control at one point in time. Computer manufacturers take this into account and having wide safety stop windows has become the industry standard.

I shot the video clip below 4 years ago. I'll not go into details about it, because my point is not to shame anybody, but to highlight that this has been the reality of divers doing safety stops for some time now. As you can see there is not enough room for everybody to hold the line. And those that cannot hold it are doing their safety stop going above and below the wide depth window.

Back
Top Bottom