Nitrox and pseudoephedrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Googling pseudoephedrine and nitrox I came across very few articles. Of the few found, they seemed to frown upon it. Does anyone dive nitrox w pseudoephedrine or have experience or knowledge of it?

Googling pseudoephedrine and nitrox I came across very few articles. Of the few found, they seemed to frown upon it. Does anyone dive nitrox w pseudoephedrine or have experience or knowledge of it?
No studies have been done, so of course they "frown" on it. There are better options out there like Xyzal or Zyrtec that won't make you sleepy.

My buddy on air took pseudoephedrine and within seconds reaching dive wreck at 60ft gave me signal to surface due to his heart beating faster then normal.

I take pseudoephedrine as needed. I am always prepared to feel the heart race a little, not something I would take after say ~ 4pm. Also if I take it a few days in a row by day 2 I don't get that anxious feeling anymore.

I thought pseudoephedrine was known as the candy of divers?

I also have done dives on nitrox and deco dives on it, never any issues.

I am not a medical professional. Consult a physician.

Sudafed is a decongestant the others mentioned are anti histamines. If you have allergies the antihistamines might work, general inflammation not so much. If you take Sudafed regularly with no issues, the biggest issue would most likely be it wears off on a dive and you get a reverse squeeze. Never take a new drug and dive until you are familiar with it's effects on land and you have discussed it with a physician.

No studies have been done, so of course they "frown" on it. There are better options out there like Xyzal or Zyrtec that won't make you sleepy.
Pseudoephedrine is non-drowsy and will NOT make you sleepy. Quite the opposite, in fact - it can raise blood pressure and heart rate and it can make it hard for some people to sleep.

I am not a medical professional. Consult a physician.

Sudafed is a decongestant the others mentioned are anti histamines. If you have allergies the antihistamines might work, general inflammation not so much. If you take Sudafed regularly with no issues, the biggest issue would most likely be it wears off on a dive and you get a reverse squeeze. Never take a new drug and dive until you are familiar with it's effects on land and you have discussed it with a physician.

There are quite a few 12 hour pseudoephedrine tablets. Take it in the am, dive in the am, the wearing off during a dive doesn’t happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom