Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do dive vacations where I do 35 - 40 dives in two weeks so 3 or 4 dives a day. I dive mainly on air. One vacation I dove on Nitrox and I did not feel any different.
When you dive on air are you limited by NDL's or by gas?

I have never seen a dry suit just pictures, movies and people are like the Michelin bibemdum wearing it
My advice: Get out, learn some and don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

Very different with the freedom of movement that one has with a wetsuit.
Since you admit to never have even seen a drysuit, how do you know that the freedom of movement is different than in a wetsuit? My advice: Get out, learn some and don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

Right, but maybe that's an error, maybe we shouldn't be teaching it that way. I guess the issue is that the depth gauge shouldn't read feet or meters, since those are dependent on what you are diving in. It should really read ATA, since that's the relevant variable that affects nitrogen loading and decompressions algorithms.

Now of course, I understand the educational difficulties of taking new divers and teaching that you are "1 ATA" under the surface - it just seems less intuitive than the idea of being "33 feet" under the surface. But I guess that distinction might be made when you are discussing the adjustments for fresh and salt water. Maybe that's the point to bring up the fact that you are actually measuring atmospheres, not feet.

Great discussion, as always! That's why I'm never that concerned about topic drift within reason - sometimes the side passages are the most interesting.

you know what "might" be interesting about this ? i wonder how this would affect diver phycology when it comes to depth ? by that i mean.....some have a phycological barrier when they see a certain number on the depth gauge. some don't like to go deeper than 30 feet, for others maybe 100 feet, while some do not seem to have any barriers. haha
so i wonder if that anxiety might be lessened if the dive plan discussion revolved around bar or atmospheres instead of a depth in feet / meters ? hmmmmm sounds like an experiment might be in order.
anyone know if there is a "depth gauge" avail that is displayed in bar or atmospheres ? :)

My advice: Get out, learn some and don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

Since you admit to never have even seen a drysuit, how do you know that the freedom of movement is different than in a wetsuit? My advice: Get out, learn some and don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about.
I said that it was half a joke, come on. Dry suit was not even the topic. Can't a newbie make joke without being hammered out for that?

I said that it was half a joke, come on. Dry suit was not even the topic. Can't a newbie make joke without being hammered out for that?
I'm a little tired of someone saying something really stupid or seriously objectionable and then saying it was a joke. I'm probably overly sensitive to this, living in the US.

I'm a little tired of someone saying something really stupid or seriously objectionable and then saying it was a joke. I'm probably overly sensitive to this, living in the US.
I said half a joke, not 100%. Now, if you want to erect yourself as the Grand Master, bring it on. I believe that a dry suit does not give as much as freedom of movement than a wet suit. And it even have some additional training and safety constraints. You do question that? Fine. Then, I am sure that you will explain to us how a dry suit is much more convenient and has less safety requirement than a wet suit. I am waiting.

I said half a joke, not 100%. Now, if you want to erect yourself as the Grand Master, bring it on. I believe that a dry suit does not give as much as freedom of movement than a wet suit. And it even have some additional training and safety constraints. You do question that? Fine. Then, I am sure that you will explain to us how a dry suit is much more convenient and has less safety requirement than a wet suit. I am waiting.
Of course, you need a dry suit for cold waters but that was not the point. Before you start calling people or their writing stupid, you should make sure that you are the real deal. And I am being polite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom