NITROX for any and all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not a flaw, that controlling for variables. If you put everybody on a liveaboard and tell them to go dive, some people are going to bounce up and down from 60 to 40 feet the whole dive, some are going to kick, some are going to float, and your data will be meaningless. When doing a scientific study, you can only get meaningful data when you change one variable at a time. By having a large sample population, evenly distributed between sex, age, physical fitness level, race, etc., you would get the best data, but you would want to make sure they are all experiencing the same dive, which means sitting in a chamber as it pressurizes to 60 feet.

100% nitrogen is commonly used for tires because it doesn't leak or heat up as much.

My wife was told to do this because of an injury that could make her more likely to have problems off-gassing absorbed nitrogen from scar tissue. You just have to be sure you are diving air tables while considering the MOD of your EAN#

You should ALWAYS use nitrogen for tires. It doesn't leak, doesn't heat up, makes you better looking and gives the tire dealer (me) a nice profit margin. We do not have as good of proof of these claims (aside from the profit margin) as we do for the benefits of nitrox.
78% pure nitrogen works as well but does not provide the most important benefit of 96% pure nitrogen.

You should ALWAYS use nitrogen for tires. It doesn't leak, doesn't heat up, makes you better looking and gives the tire dealer (me) a nice profit margin. We do not have as good of proof of these claims (aside from the profit margin) as we do for the benefits of nitrox.
78% pure nitrogen works as well but does not provide the most important benefit of 96% pure nitrogen.

I fill my tires with 78% nitrogen, then wait till the oxygen leaks out, i have 95% nitrogen, top of with more 78%. Soon i have full 95%

:)

I have analyzed the oxygen content in my tires after a month, usually below 7% :)

Here’s my next question to those of you who use EANx on any and all dives. What is your “x” of choice? Do you routinely fill your tanks with 32%, 36%, or some other “good for all around diving” percentage?

Here’s my next question to those of you who use EANx on any and all dives. What is your “x” of choice? Do you routinely fill your tanks with 32%, 36%, or some other “good for all around diving” percentage?
It depends upon the dive. If I am doing a recreational 2-tank dive in South Florida, for example, the first dive is usually on a relatively deep wreck, and the second is on a reef. If the wreck is in the 115-130 foot range, I will usually get something between 28-30% If it is in the 90-110 foot range, it will be about 32%. If I know the second dive is going to be a reef at a maximum depth of about 60 feet, I will go for 36%. Where I get them filled, the price is the same for any of those, so that is not a factor.

32 is handy and I like it

My son learned to dive on the Alagrve and he was given nitrox from the very beginning, even the pool sessions. There is irrefutable evidence that raising the level of oxygen in the blood increases physical performance and increases the rate of healing from injury. Apart from the DCS advantages it could reasonably be assumed that increased oxygen content would reduce breathing effort and reduce gas consumption.
I asked the instructor why he used nitrox when my son was only doing short dives to 12m and he replied that beginners find it easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom