No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No traditional depth gauge for me since my very first few dives with rental gear many years ago. I do keep some redundancy though, either diving with two computers or at the very least carrying one computer and my G-shock, which shows depth and dive time. Having just a depth gauge without any time keeping device is not useful, and it's funny that's how most rental sets were (still are?) configured. It's probably because very new divers use air so quickly that time never becomes part of the equation.

Wait, won't you die if you dive with an air2?

Hehe - was that sarcasm? :) I think consensus is no increased likelihood of death, but it does appear in some cases to cause a high level of sensitivity. We took a couple newly certified divers out yesterday - both were outfitted with brand new air macdoodles, and they were fine. I have my own redundant air and won’t need to deal with their kit.

There are lots of ways to dive, the key as a new diver is to practice with the kit you’ve decided to use until you don’t have to think about it - whether it be spg, air 2, or whatever.

Oh, wow! An old underwater watch of some sort. This is like the phone my grandfather has. You have to use your finger to rotate a dial to make calls. So ancient I have never seen before. This probably what divers used to use before God made Shearwater.

I am amazed at the things I learn on SB, every time I get on SB, I learn something new. WOW!!!

But, what do the numbers mean on the thing here? Is zero the start of time? I have to find a very old guy who knows what this watch does and explain it to me. Thank God for the Shearwater calculator phones we have now.
SB is starting to get to you.
Consider taking a break.

I presume the color change to gray told you the very approximate depth. How did it work in practice?
Poorly. I never used it again after I was introduced to the modern depth gauge. I even gave up my j-valves when I was introduced to the SPG as well.

Personally I went from double console (spg & depth guage) with wrist mounted compass to AI integrated computer with compass (yes its a SW Petrel). I have the SPG/hose in my bag in case of disaster (i have a non AI computer back up) but not needed it yet. Not even had so much as a momentary loss of signal yet.

No way I am going back when I can have everything in one place.

Should any of the computers functions fail (AI or depth) then it is dive over and make my way to the surface.

Hehe - was that sarcasm? :) I think consensus is no increased likelihood of death, but it does appear in some cases to cause a high level of sensitivity. We took a couple newly certified divers out yesterday - both were outfitted with brand new air macdoodles, and they were fine. I have my own redundant air and won’t need to deal with their kit.

There are lots of ways to dive, the key as a new diver is to practice with the kit you’ve decided to use until you don’t have to think about it - whether it be spg, air 2, or whatever.
Maybe...:wink:

And for the record I dive with an air2 and sometimes a 13cf pony...but never with split fins or Spare Air. Those suckers WILL kill you.:poke:

Simple SPG in bar.

Perdix (non-AI) with electronic depth gauge.

Citizen Promaster Aqualand Depth Meter watch with electronic depth gauge

OR

Deep 6 Gear Excursion with electronic depth gauge.

I am considering putting something on my DPV...maybe just an analog depth gauge or perhaps the Excursion when my Citizen comes back from service.

If not using a scooter, then I don’t think you need to carry a third depth gauge. One primary and one alternate are enough, IMO.

I am considering putting something on my DPV...maybe just an analog depth gauge or perhaps the Excursion when my Citizen comes back from service.

If not using a scooter, then I don’t think you need to carry a third depth gauge. One primary and one alternate are enough, IMO.
I don’t dive with a DPV, so maybe I’m missing something. Why would you want to put a 3rd depth gauge on the DPV? I realize that you have the third and can do it. Just wondering why on the DPV specifically.

Ease of viewing.

My right wrist (throttle hand) is cocked just enough that I have to crane my neck to see data.

Left wrist (other computer) is either covering my second stage to prevent air bleeding off (and so I can’t see it) or I prefer to lay it naturally against my side inside the slipstream.

As the case is now with only a compass in front, I plant my left hand on the shroud to monitor my dive data but it would be nice to eliminate that drag.

First world problems for sure.

Back
Top Bottom