No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with an analog depth gauge, but I eventually ditched it, as I only looked at the computer to reference depth.
Did they ever show a discrepancy? If so, how did you resolve it? We do have that other thread going about "why no accurate computers," so I was wondering if that extends to the depth readout as well.

Did they ever show a discrepancy? If so, how did you resolve it? We do have that other thread going about "why no accurate computers," so I was wondering if that extends to the depth readout as well.

Some computers will "sense" the type of water (freshwater vs. saltwater), and base their calculations accordingly. When I was doing extended range diving in the Great Lakes, I would carry a Cochran (Nemesis Nitrox of some sort) to record the dive. Sometimes the computer would record a saltwater dive, and sometimes it would record a freshwater dive. In these cases there would be a discrepancy between my analog gauge and my Cochran.

These dives were in Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior.

rx7diver

Whenever I glanced at both, they always had the same reading. When I got my Shearwater Peregrine...I did my first three dives with my old computer (Mares Matrix), as well. Both computers were right on with the same depth reading.

The thread “why no accurate computers...” pretty much every responder hopped in there and said “there’s nothing wrong with a dive computer.” That and “no one uses tables as their primary NDL calculation method when they have access to a dive computer.“

Whenever I dive solo again, I’ll run two computers. That way, if one craps out (failed depth gauge)...I don’t have to scrub the dive.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by this, but the thread "why no accurate computers" has a misleading title. The person who started the thread was concerned that computers were not giving the same plans as his SSI tables, and since he assumed that the SSI tables were perfect, it naturally followed that the computer algorithms were all faulty.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by this, but the thread "why no accurate computers" has a misleading title. The person who started the thread was concerned that computers were not giving the same plans as his SSI tables, and since he assumed that the SSI tables were perfect, it naturally followed that the computer algorithms were all faulty.

Anyone just starting should ignore that thread, as far as the title and assertions of the OP go. It would probably be a benefit to the community to just delete it so that no one else makes the mistake of reading it.

I haven't read all posts as I was away, but will offer this-- If I were diving solo to any deep depth (below 50'?) I would have a backup. Either an analog depth gauge and watch to accompany the computer, or a second computer. For shallow solo dives to like, 30', I only use the console & my watch (really need neither). If you are buddy diving things may differ. It's all about risk assessment I guess.

20201019_121924.jpg 20201116_170302.jpg I dive with both, the 1992 model is for time and depth [easy to read for older eyes]
The 450T AI is the "new kid on the block" , love you can set 3 Nitrox mixes [and download the dives ] and other cool stuff, it even tells the time like a real watch.:hourglass:
Edit: Forgot the watch, never been without a watch in 52 years of diving.

Attachments

• 20201019_124157.jpg
    20201019_124157.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 68
Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.

Thanks
Two cheapo computers and no depth gauge for me.

Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.

Thanks

Combining a dive watch and a depth gauge into one is old news:
Diving with Citizen Promaster Aqualand Depth Meter Watch

In modern times it is the dive computer that replaces that Aqualand.

There is no need for a separae depth gauge if you carry a dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom