No Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My safety checks: PLANS SAVE

PLANS (Planning Phase) "Plan your dive and dive your PLANS."

People = Who leads? Who follows? In what order? What are the responsibilities of each team member?
Logistics (ADDD up) = Air/Gas we are diving? Depth of dive (max/avg)? Duration of dive? Deco schedule (planned, bailout, worst case)?
Air Rule = All usable? Half usable? Rock bottom? Thirds? Sixths?
Navigation (ADD the nav) = Azimuth/Compass headings? Directional changes? Distance(s) from shore, boat, entrance?
Signals = Hand signals? Light signals? Touch contact? Written?

SAVE (In-Water or On Deck Safety Checks) "If you do nothing else the SAVE may save your life."

S-Drill/Safety Drill = Long hose deployable & working? Back-up working? Deco/Stage bottles working?
Air Leak/Bubble Check = Scuba? Bottles? Scooters? Cameras?
Valve Drill = Full or Modified? Right post open? Isolator open? Left post open? Check SPG? Deco/Stage bottles charged, off, and stowed (unless using travel gas)?
Equipment = Full head to toe matching? Or, abbreviated (ex. Primary reel? Two safety spools? Back-up mask?)?

I caught the problem before the SAVE checks when I open knobs by habit before slipping into my gear.

@Trace Malinowski im sorry this post is a regret for you. I see nothing wrong with how you guys handled it at all.

One question though did you know the guy before hand or was he doing this to a stranger?

That's too hard to remember......I mean the mnemonic....too many letters for me. I start nodding @ the first "S".

@Trace Malinowski im sorry this post is a regret for you. I see nothing wrong with how you guys handled it at all.

One question though did you know the guy before hand or was he doing this to a stranger?

He knew me for one day prior when I dove with him to 100 feet on the stern of the Vickery and 80 feet on the Maggie L. That morning we had done 115 to the prop of the Keystorm. He shut me down before we jumped in at the America in the St. Lawrence River in the 1000 Islands in upstate NY.

That's too hard to remember......I mean the mnemonic....too many letters for me. I start nodding @ the first "S".
You might try Vindicator knobs if the training is too hard..... :p

A seeing eye cat may be just the ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom