No Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Superlyte27

Pete, next time I even think about posting something. Beat the sh*t out of me. I'll thank you.
Trace, I appreciate this thread and understand that for you this was no big deal. If this guy is thinking enough only to pull pranks on guys like you then everything is OK. If not, he might kill somebody. Seems to me there was a divemaster in Coz that didn't recover from going in with their air off a few years ago.

My post that you quoted was referring to the test to determine if your valve is open versus closed, not open " a little bit". Not even understanding how or why somebody would open their valve a little bit and then just leave it there, unless they've got ADD and they're in the process of starting to open the valve and then say, a dolphin swims by and they focus on the pretty dolphin then turn back to their dive computer and set it for the correct Nitrox blend forgetting all about their tank with the partially opened valve.

The point was that simply checking the SPG, and seeing it not fluctuate, is just not good enough. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fluctuate if it can't deliver the gas at depth and that's the whole point of checking to begin with.

The point was that simply checking the SPG, and seeing it not fluctuate, is just not good enough. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fluctuate if it can't deliver the gas at depth and that's the whole point of checking to begin with.

It's my understanding that the point of checking the spg is to make sure the valve is on. Still makes sense to do it even if it doesn't confirm that the valve is completely open. It's much more likely that a tank valve is either all the way on, or all the way off rather than just partially open.

This is a portion of the thread I cannot wrap my head around. Check your valves manually by hand. No need for subjective gauge flickering and guessing . If I have any doubt I cycle the handwheel both directions and end with them in the open. I run the handwheels every time before a shoulder goes through the first harness.

Is anyone a fan of physical check lists?

I do not believe that if the needle does not quiver taking a quick full breath at the surface that it will not provide enough air to breath at all reasonable depths. If you get to depth and feel a restriction see if your needle is dropping way down while taking a breath. If it does, open your valve.

I got in the habit early of breathing while watching my SPG immediately before splash every dive.
With doubles that doesn't show an issue on the right (to the diver) post, as the SPG is fed off the left post.

I wouldn't ever call anyone out, but this is a classic example of a gear solution to a skills deficiency. Marie, there is no doubt in my mind that you do proper pre-dive safety checks. But unless someone is actively trying to kill someone else, the vindicator knobs (I've never heard that term) is a crutch that allows someone to not perform a proper pre-dive check, or perform their S-drills before and after getting in the water.

And, I would call someone out, but I'm not here. Please everyone, learn the lesson from Trace and perform a proper pre-dive safety check and at the minimum a bubble check on the way down.
They are highly useful when I look at them in the truck after the dive and ask myself, "did you close all the valves?"

I do not believe that if the needle does not quiver taking a quick full breath at the surface that it will not provide enough air to breath at all reasonable depths.

There are too many nots in this post I can't tell what you're trying to say.

He started laughing when he saw me turn my right post on. "Oh! You found it! What would you have done if was off in the water?" The answer I gave was that I've jumped in the water with my gas turned off more times than I'd care to admit. I would just reach back and turn the hand wheel, but you never ever want to play a joke like that because it can jeopardize someone's life.
Incredible coolness. Incredible professionalism. I will never forget this.

There are too many nots in this post I can't tell what you're trying to say.
Do it your way. I'll keep test breathing while watching for a needle quiver.

Back
Top Bottom