No Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, turns out the diver has been kicked out of other shops/ops. Rather than just kick him off the boat, I'm betting the captain is going to put the time, patience, and effort into helping him grow up rather than just let him become someone else's problem.

How did you pinpoint the culprit?

Kudos on keeping your cool, I know I couldn't have.

He started laughing when he saw me turn my right post on. "Oh! You found it! What would you have done if was off in the water?" The answer I gave was that I've jumped in the water with my gas turned off more times than I'd care to admit. I would just reach back and turn the hand wheel, but you never ever want to play a joke like that because it can jeopardize someone's life.

This is another reason I like the Vindicator knobs on my valves. You can easily see if a tank is on (green) or off (red).

This is another reason I like the Vindicator knobs on my valves. You can easily see if a tank is on (green) or off (red).
I wouldn't ever call anyone out, but this is a classic example of a gear solution to a skills deficiency. Marie, there is no doubt in my mind that you do proper pre-dive safety checks. But unless someone is actively trying to kill someone else, the vindicator knobs (I've never heard that term) is a crutch that allows someone to not perform a proper pre-dive check, or perform their S-drills before and after getting in the water.

And, I would call someone out, but I'm not here. Please everyone, learn the lesson from Trace and perform a proper pre-dive safety check and at the minimum a bubble check on the way down.

@Wookie

I simply find them helpful for quick visual check after I’ve done my pre-dive check. They came with tanks I bought last year. On my usual charter, there’s no touching of anyone else’s valves unless someone asks for help. If some jokester decided to play with my valves as Trace experienced, they’d know very quickly how displeased I was.

I have had students show up for class with Vindicator knobs. The major benefit I've found with them is that they paint a great picture of what is open and closed during video reviews. The color coding allows the students to see the problem identification and resolution process more clearly during instructor initiated multiple failures. These valves are no substitute for proper flow checks and equipment awareness.

He started laughing when he saw me turn my right post on. "Oh! You found it! What would you have done if was off in the water?" The answer I gave was that I've jumped in the water with my gas turned off more times than I'd care to admit. I would just reach back and turn the hand wheel, but you never ever want to play a joke like that because it can jeopardize someone's life.

I would like to have stomped him into turtle food.

But what he did is almost identically the same as cutting the brake lines on a car. It usually goes by another name of "attempted murder by criminal mischief" . Usually garnering a nice "hotel" stay of a few years.

I'd want the guy no where near me, my equipment, or anything I owned.

That is quite scary although thankfully Trace is experienced enough that it didn't become a bigger problem underwater.

With a less experienced diver, I dread to think what could have happened.

Jokes are all well and good but when it comes to safety they have no place.

Nobody should touch other people's stuff unless asked. The jokester was 100% wrong. But at the end of the day its your responsibility to make sure your stuff is in working order before you splash.

i seriously hope you thumped the living **** out of him in the parking lot. that very easily could have killed you or someone else. a broken jaw is a small price to pay compared to killing someone you know and a manslaughter charge.
props to you for handling your cool.
I could not
hence probably why your a very renowned instructor and I only hire ticketed experienced guys I cant handle teaching at all I have very little patience and none of my guys have ever tried to kill me

I would like to have stomped him into turtle food.

Just wondering why you two feel superior to the guy who shut off the valve? Do you think violence is the answer to this problem? Would you going to prison over this really make any of this better? Or are you guys just internet tough guys?

Violence is not needed if you have a talent for profanity and vicious sarcasm. Some idiot tries that with my gear will get an instantaneous very profane, very vicious, and very loud tongue lashing. Some asshat at the quarry made the very bad decision of touching my gear once. He learned very quickly he had made a very bad choice. Doubt he touches anyone else’s gear again.

One dive buddy was taught to turn his valve back a quarter turn. Stupid. I told him his business if he does that on his tanks, but if he dares to ever do that on my tanks, I will never dive with him again. So he doesn’t do it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom