No-name backplate identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Recently picked up a used SS backplate and harness. The harness is obviously Halcyon, however, the plate itself has no brand stamp on it. Does anyone know which company it is from? Could it maybe an older Halcyon plate before they started branding them with the 'H'? With the exception of the two square holes at the bottom, it looks exactly the same as the Halcyon plates but I can't be too sure.

Any help will be appreciated.
198613040_961225358042843_2015777420752609451_n.jpg
197998734_1423975797982875_2077795904445155231_n.jpg

unlikely an old H plate since it has cam band slots. Important to remember that these are largely generic and Scubapro actually gets their plates from the same guy that Halcyon does so who knows who made the plate.

Could be difficult to name. Before BPs became popular there were several people who would make or have plates made in small runs. Lots of those plates look similar and had no markings.

unlikely an old H plate since it has cam band slots. Important to remember that these are largely generic and Scubapro actually gets their plates from the same guy that Halcyon does so who knows who made the plate.
Most definitely. IST and Frog as well. It is not the brand that is of any concern to me; I want to have this plate kitted up with the Halcyon cinch harness and so I am wondering if in the event that this plate is not a Halcyon, that it is still built to exactly the same spec and the harness will still fit

Here's a 2011 thread where a handful of divers said they have or had H plates with square holes from the very early 2000s.

Halcyon backplates
Between that and a Halcyon video I just watched on youtube, I think that must be the case. It also has two holes on the bottom. As T-bone and Jack Hammer pointed out, before BPs started gaining popularity, I think brands just bought their plates all from the same manufacturer and slapped an adhesive sticker on it.
(10) 03 Cinch Assembly - YouTube — Mozilla Firefox 2021_06_10 20_42_04.png

Hi all,

Recently picked up a used SS backplate and harness. The harness is obviously Halcyon, however, the plate itself has no brand stamp on it. Does anyone know which company it is from? Could it maybe an older Halcyon plate before they started branding them with the 'H'? With the exception of the two square holes at the bottom, it looks exactly the same as the Halcyon plates but I can't be too sure.

Any help will be appreciated.
View attachment 664553 View attachment 664554
Check the length of the plate. I would put serrated tri-glides on the bottom to stop slippage. I don't like the Halcyon cinch system since it doesn't allow stages on the right.

Recommend OMS Smart Stream harness if you want adjustability.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom