No need to move this thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has been removed for clean-up.

Is this the first "official test" of the moderation suggestions?

You might have not noticed a thing today, but we cut over to the new servers about 9:05 EST this morning! Major kudos to Dallas for have planned and executed a move in which there was no drama involved!

Say hello to my my little friends!

You might have not noticed a thing today, but we cut over to the new servers about 9:05 EST this morning! Major kudos to Dallas for have planned and executed a move in which there was no drama involved!

Say hello to my my little friends!

please stay on topic :)

BTW when can folks start building apps for SB? :D

Since the on-topic part seems to be wavering....................

Thank you for your response Pete. I appreciate your insight. However I would like to address a couple of issues that you mentioned.

You mentioned that when a mass of posts get deleted, an option is to simply PM the Moderator to ask why “yours” were deleted. This seldom works as history has shown me. I believe the poster should be notified (the WHY) each and every time because I feel it is important that they know if they crossed a line or if they were caught in cross fire. How else can you “council” the people and not over-moderate them? Besides, if one has time to respond to a PM then surely they have time to send one to avoid the question in the first place. I will continue on the way I have been because I have always done this anyways (if there was a question as to why it was deleted). HOPEFULLY, things on both sides can change for the better since more often than not I never get my answer.

Do you consistently report every post you see where someone has called another user an idiot? If you do, we (especially I) will consistently edit or delete the post to remove the personal attack. If you don't report it, we may not see it, and moderation will appear inconsistent.
Consistent reporting directly contributes to consistent moderation.

Rick

Point well taken Rick. I never really see this issue getting any better if the staff don’t actually clean a thread when it gets reported, rather than just removing that post which was reported. What I am talking about here Rick is not an “oops I missed on” moment. I am talking about the “I am deleting all of this person’s posts because they quoted something” but then NOT deleting that which it quoted.

The thread in question (for this thread anyways) had several people called names all by one poster. I do not care that I was called a name because it was not done in an overly aggressive or attacking manner. This is why I will not report it. I do not believe any of those "name calling" posts were removed however my post replying to the post where I was called a troll....was removed…..the post calling me a troll remains. Yet I am told I was deleted because of me quoting another. Something does not add up and all I see is posturing for protection. But, perhaps my bar is set too high.

I do respect and appreciate the work that gets done here (most will likely call me a liar here but I actually do), but I am unable to accept that someone can do half a job and have it considered acceptable because they are volunteers and have a life outside of SB. Perhaps I set my expectations too high when it comes to the “worker” role as it relates to what is acceptable (volunteer or employee). If the job is too much, then perhaps more volunteers are needed (if the SB staff actually view any of this as being even the slightest problem that is). I do not know the answer here and am not pretending to. I do not see sending a couple of PM's as adding as much to the workload as people seem to want to make it out to be but I do not know what makes up "the workload".

I know I am likely going to be the target of some staff members after this thread and some of my posts in it (no need to say it will never happen because no matter what you say, it does). C'est la vie. If it is obvious, I will report it and just live with whatever happens. I have tried to make sure that staffers and members alike realize that while a certain thread initiated my starting this thread, it really was just an example. I have seen these issues since joining and this thread is just a culmination of everything I have encountered. I see this as a big issue that cannot be fixed without SB involvement. I only hope I am wrong about what will or will not happen from here.

I know I am likely going to be the target of some staff members after this thread and some of my posts in it (no need to say it will never happen because no matter what you say, it does).

Hardly. Your feedback is well taken. I've made a summary of the salient points in this thread to kick into the back room for discussion. I hope (and expect) that your feedback will be taken equally well by all the mods.

I won't lie to you. Some of the points probably wno't result in measurable differences in how things are done but the points about poor communication and inconsistent moderating must be addressed. It was quite clear that this can't be ignored.

What really happens next isn't under my control but I can tell you on no uncertain terms that nobody is moaning about you putting these issues on the table.

R..

Rob (and Rick),

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of "why's." Like several of the others involved in this conversation, I like conversations that are a bit "sporty" or have some "flavor" or however you want to say it. As a result I don't report posts. I figure by the time something actually gets close to offending me, people with much more tender feelings will have already worn the paint off the report button, so I don't even bother. Usually I try my best to respond to them and keep things civil, but I've gotten indications from time to time it doesn't always come across that way. Maybe I'll reconsider the "report" button in some circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom