No O2 on boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancun Mark correct of course, "have an oxygen unit available (unless prohibited by local law) during all supervised recreational scuba diving tours or instruction" PADI International Resort Association Standards p6

DORSETBOY:
Hey paddyp, like I said before I agree with the importance of having 02 on a dive boat, in fact I consider it to be paramount. I think though that in the time honoured tradition of scubaboard we're flogging a dead horse on here now! Also I think that everyone needs to be fair to the DC in question and to stop flinging mud at them.

Agree...

Guys, you are all thrashing around the same topic without actually interpreting the PADI guidelines correctly.
It says you have to have O2 available. What is available? two hours away? 20 minutes away? on the boat? It does not actually say.

To deride a DC on a public forum is quite bad form. The instructor in question might have just been drafted in, he may have just been given notice, a whole host of reasons.
To find the instructor to blame is a pointless exercise. The "blame" culture that seems prevalent in most industries will destroy the dive centres unless they stop it. Why should the DC respond in an open forum to a request for WHY the Instructor said their was no O2?
You made a decision not to use the dive centre because you did not get the right answers. So what? Move on.
Why give them a hard time in a public forum?

If anyone is interested about DCI, I have an instructor friend who got a spinal bend in the deep end of a swimming pool after doing 5 hours of instructing in a Phuket hotel pool.
You can get a burst lung if you try really hard in a pool as well.
Not a nice thought.

in response to Belushi -

Why should people not express their opinions on DCs in a public forum? How else do we find out about them aside from a personal visit? People recommend DCs so by equal measure they can highlight faults or misgivings.

As for the comment regarding the instructor who sent me the emails. She had been working there for some time. Ironically it was by reading a recommendation that I found the DC in the first place. Someone was commenting on a visit months before I arrived, and said that the aforementioned instructor had been very good.

As for your speculation about the instructor being given notice, if you read the emails - the instructor in question was going to meet us at the jetty when we arrived regardless of the time of day Hardly the actions of someone with a grudge and on the verge of leaving.

paddyp -
By now you are making a fool of yourself. You seem to have some personal agenda going on here. We've all heard you got the e-mails - so what? If this DC was in the States you'd probably be looking at a lawsuit by now. You don't have a right to slander people in public - but you have done anyway - please stop now.

Kim:
paddyp -
By now you are making a fool of yourself. You seem to have some personal agenda going on here. We've all heard you got the e-mails - so what? If this DC was in the States you'd probably be looking at a lawsuit by now. You don't have a right to slander people in public - but you have done anyway - please stop now.

I agree with Kim, maybe some mod would take pity on this dead horse and bury it.

Kim if you don't like me responding to people in this thread - don't read it.

This point about slander - rolls eyes. This compensation culture that you live in leaves you in a position where you're scared to speak. It's almost laughable.

I made one point about the O2 based on - yawn - emails I received. If there were no substance to my post then yes you would be correct in using the term - yawn - slander. As it is, you are incorrect.

Anyway - like I said a page ago - I made my point. Anyone who reads it can make up their own mind.

I have no personal agenda, I posted this to provide information.

However, if people continue to comment on the thread, I will reply if I feel like it. That is something you will have to live with if you keep reading it.
Safe Diving everyone

paddyp:
This point about slander - rolls eyes. This compensation culture that you live in leaves you in a position where you're scared to speak. It's almost laughable.
You see - there you go again - jumping to conclusions based on incorrect observations!!! LOL.
One look at my profile would have told you that I'm not American - nor do I live there! But you don't seem to be interested in the whole story do you? The first thing you read will do.
As it happens - on this board there are quite a few Americans who seem fully prepared and able to speak their minds - what you don't normally see here are people naming businesses in the way that you have.
Still - you've said your piece (based on a bit of information) - and everyone else will call it as they see it.
By the way - it's not just America that has laws against slander.

Kim:
One look at my profile would have told you that I'm not American.

I did look at your profile out of vague interest before I posted because I was curious about why you seemed intent on putting down my posts about this. The fact that your name has the subtitle 'The guy from Kyushu' kind of gave it away that you probably weren't in the US.

Anyway, your comments are detracting from the reason I originally posted this information. ie. improving the safety standards of DCs.

If anyone posts regarding the original issue on DC safety I'll reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom