No Octo?? Here goes...Blast away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"That's a nice avitar photo.... MOF."

Thanks, just practicing what I preach, minimalistic zen diving. Naaa,nanananana, bubble, bubble (Caddy Shack--lol). Straight from the Heartland at Light Speed!!! N

Diving without an Octo today is very dangerous.

True, once everyone dove without an Octo, but what people are forgetting is that everyone also KNEW there were no Octos. This completely changes behavior not to mention that training is not the same as it was 35 years ago.

In the 1960s if you went OOA at depth buddy breathing was it, you had to buddy breath and that required cooperation between you and the other diver.

Today, in an OOA situation the person is trained to look for an Octo, so whether that person grabs the primary or not, the OOA person is not expecting to give the regulator back.

The fact is in today's World an OOA diver is going to be very likely to be disinclined to return the regulator. Since the only regulator is the primary, having no Octo is very dangerous.

Years ago, the OOA diver would know the regulator had to be returned.

Changes in circumstances make diving today sans Octo much more dangerous than before Octos became common safety gear.

Xanthro:
Diving without an Octo today is very dangerous.

True, once everyone dove without an Octo, but what people are forgetting is that everyone also KNEW there were no Octos. This completely changes behavior not to mention that training is not the same as it was 35 years ago.

In the 1960s if you went OOA at depth buddy breathing was it, you had to buddy breath and that required cooperation between you and the other diver.

Today, in an OOA situation the person is trained to look for an Octo, so whether that person grabs the primary or not, the OOA person is not expecting to give the regulator back.

The fact is in today's World an OOA diver is going to be very likely to be disinclined to return the regulator. Since the only regulator is the primary, having no Octo is very dangerous.

Years ago, the OOA diver would know the regulator had to be returned.

Changes in circumstances make diving today sans Octo much more dangerous than before Octos became common safety gear.

JUST SO EVERYONE HOPEFULLY SEES THIS....He has an Air 2 type secondary air source. No Maverick crazy man here.

Hey Nemrod, come over to the MOF thread. You'll fit right in...:D

billeelou:
[ Luddite. no ones smashing equipment here!!! have not heard that term in a while!!

No, octos aren't leaving general usage -- the vast majority of divers use them, and I expect all recognized training programs stress them and their use.

thats the reply I asked for , but as change happens, is the integrated 2nd becoming more used and the octo dropped?? from a number of posters here, indeed even the ones originally blasting, it appears they are...[/QUOTE]

I am also someone who thinks the Secondary Air source (Air2 type) BC connected type is safe and in some instances safer than an octo in many instances. With that being said, I highly recommend a one thing:

Practice using this as it is different than most are taught today and you do have to proficiently learn how to deflate/inflate your BC while using it. If you practice it, its pretty easy to master but the first time can be a little confusing depending upon which one you have. Don't take it for granted that you can do it because if the first time you do it is in an emergency, you could cause some real trouble.

I don't think that we are at the point of completely replacing octo's because they also serve a purpose in certain diving situations and work idealy for some peoples comfort level. (Which is the most important thing anyway) I do think they are widespread enought that training organizations should teach both procedures and equipment practices. It doesn't make sense to me why they haven't at this point.

H2Andy:
it doth have troll-like qualities

If you are using and AIR2 type octo then you aren't nearly as controversial as you think. If you are truly diving with no other back up to your primary you are just plain stupid. Sorry to be harsh.

you are just plain stupid.

Plainly against TOS :D

awap:
I have one reg with no octo. I only use it for solo shallow diving.

DITTO.

For shallow river diving, I go with minimal gear to avoid snagging on something. No octo.

If you have a BC you can always breathe off the exhaust port while pressing the inflate and deflate button at the same time. Thus air is expelled right into your mouth without changing bouyancy. It does take a tid bit of practice and one hand though. Also many people have brought up the good point that back in the day they didn't have octos and everyone didn't die diving.

btw if you just necklace your backup 2nd stage its really not that big of an entanglement issue and its right there. so there ya go.

Do "Vintage Divers" use a 2ndary (Spare Air or such?) air source when they dive today? Since the regs generally won't support an Octo/Air2 what do they use? (I suppose they dive together and are buddy breathers -- right?) And would that make "Vintage Divers" Darwin material?

(BTW, 35+ years ago I was diving with my beloved AquaMaster -- no 2ndary air, etc. and yes, we were ALL taught/practiced buddy breathing.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom