(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This link will tell you where the center of the Gulf Stream is, so you can judge the impact for yourself. The Gulf Stream hangs well south of Tortugas and Key West, then gets closer at American Shoal. Havana is 90 miles south of Key West, so the Gulf Stream at 100 miles south is wishful thinking about drowning Castro.

The only real impact so far has been from the hyped out media response and that has been completely economic. So, for fun and frolic, I created an event banner to show that we are still open:

ai.php

If you are up to the challenge, please feel free to create your very own banner. It must be 700X200 and in .jpg, .gif, animated .gif or .swf format. If you are working in Flash (.swf) please be sure to include this URL in the finished file: Florida Conch Divers - ScubaBoard

Let's face it, if we don't counteract all of this negative publicity, we are going to lose a few charters and shops. We simply can't afford that.

The only real impact so far has been from the hyped out media response and that has been completely economic. So, for fun and frolic, I created an event banner to show that we are still open:

ai.php

If you are up to the challenge, please feel free to create your very own banner. It must be 700X200 and in .jpg, .gif, animated .gif or .swf format. If you are working in Flash (.swf) please be sure to include this URL in the finished file: Florida Conch Divers - ScubaBoard

Let's face it, if we don't counteract all of this negative publicity, we are going to lose a few charters and shops. We simply can't afford that.

Well, for what it's worth, my group is still headed down that way next week. I want to thank you for this forum, as that's a key reason I'm still coming. Nice to have a place with people who speak in terms of facts and sensibility.

Well, for what it's worth, my group is still headed down that way next week. I want to thank you for this forum, as that's a key reason I'm still coming. Nice to have a place with people who speak in terms of facts and sensibility.

Ewwwww! :yuck: A pun!

:rofl3:

i hate to sound repetitive, conditions today @ deep french(50ft viz, light current) and molasses-fire coral caves/permit ledge(viz 70-80ft mdt current). deep molasses and the duane had easily 100+viz, however, mdt-strong currents(we could see the bottom structure from the reef tract out to the duane; 120-130FT). fish everywhere @ molasses; at least 14 eagle rays swimming the sand channels near the southern most buoy(south to the pillar coral forest), and an enormous goliath grouper under permit ledge. from all accounts(including myself!!), the diving has been terrific for the last 10 days or so, in the upper keys. come on down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

This might have been covered already (I haven't read through this whole thread). But weeks ago I heard a scientist on the radio saying that this oil would be in the loop current "within 24 hours". But that hasn't been the case, and even the panhandle seems to be getting just tarballs so far(not to minimize that). So is it possible the oil will never get into the loop current?

This might have been covered already (I haven't read through this whole thread). But weeks ago I heard a scientist on the radio saying that this oil would be in the loop current "within 24 hours". But that hasn't been the case, and even the panhandle seems to be getting just tarballs so far(not to minimize that). So is it possible the oil will never get into the loop current?

Never is a long time . . .

My trip is by all means still on I am just nervous. As far as the Key West 100 miles south I guess she was a little over exagerated to say the least. I would like to see Obama line up all the skimmers in the world at the tip of tip of Florida like an old school Smokey and the Bandit road block. As far as for you guys that live there, keep your heads up good things are about to come.

Today in the upper keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom