No subject, lets just get to know each other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow...great thread.

Posted my introductions a couple of days ago, but didn't go into detail. Here goes.

First off, congrats to all posters in this thread with recent cert. achievments! Next, to all those working towards first or further certs, good luck and way to go (in advance). Also, my condolences to those who lost dive buddies or other life partners, both human and canine/feline/equine/et al. I too just lost my best buddy of 17 1/2 yrs...my chow/shepard mix.

I've been happily married for the last 10 yrs. No kids. My wife and I will both be making our OW cert dives in Bonaire end of November. We're both really into the outdoors and nature in general. I'm a huge music nut (all kinds) and we both love hiking, cooking, and just adventures in general.

I'm a nomad. Have lived all over the US (OK, MI, PA, CA, TX, KS, MO, IL). Chicago is my 13-15th city (I'd have to backtrack in my head, but that number's close). Wife's a native of So. Cal. Now that we've discovered diving, we'll make sure to make the most of Lake MI, then probably move on to near warmer waters...although Chicago is awesome!

New dog in the future. Not sure what, but after the Bonaire trip and some other holiday travels, we'll be visiting local shelters looking for a new buddy to start the new year with.

To support our lifestyles, I'm a freelance creative director/writer. Wife's in marketing as well, with Motorola.

Love this place and love diving. Keep these posts coming. They're fun to read.

Best fishes and safe travels. Peace.

Great thread! Here are my 2 cents:

52 YO
Wilmington, DE, USA
0 SO
2 Absentee daughters
0 Pets
2 Plants
1 Horsecollar BC (Anyone remember these?)

Diving since 81. Mostly warm water but thinking of getting back into cold (watched Deep Sea Detectives on History Channel and saw episode about the Regina and other Great Lakes wrecks. Always wanted to dive up there.). Do video now and am totally hooked.

Support my diving habit as the Data Network Admin (think computer geek) for a local insurance company.

Just returned from Tobago. Looking forward to Belize (4th trip there) this coming March. Did Galapagos last December, which gave me a chance to practice my rusty Spanish.

Dream about diving at night. When not dreaming, like dancing, which creates the same problem as diving (i.e. need a buddy/partner). Great cook but have restricted diet (no gluten). Should have been born a dolphin (i.e. fish diet).

Web site with photos and video: www.brandtbeach.com

DSDO

Chuck

Hey there, Bruce, 36, New York City and a diver for 10 years plus. I often do quarries around NJ & PA, but have had a bunch of good warm water trips, the best being Turks and Caicos this year. Am a freelance writer with a big jones for film, art, music etc., love being in the city but love being underwater even more. Own pretty much all of my gear, but unfortunately am carless so usually have to rely on rentals for the day to get me where the water is unless I know a local diver who's goin'. Great reading all the friendly posts herein....

Hi I'm Justin. I'm a 28 y/o male near Seattle, Wa. My cousin just referred me to this site. Looks very cool so far. I'm taking a trip to the Miami area 11-12 through 11-21 and want to do some diving. I was going to meet up with my cousin, but his schedule didn't work out, so now I'm here. If any one has any helpful info. to share, that would be great. I'm also open to meeting up with divers in the area. Hope to hear back from some of you...
:star:

Hi,
My name is Tom and I'm a reccently certified OW diver. I currently 33 years old and working as a Mechanical Engineer for a company called PCI Energy Services in Lake Bluff, IL. My company performs repair and maintainance for the Nuclear Power Plants, ok don't tell any jokes about me glowing or anything like that :3eye:. Scuba diving is something I always wanted to learn but I never really got around to it. The thought never occurred to me that I could/should go take an Open Water Class and get my diving adventure started. Since I got my OW I have earned two other certifications... TDI Nitrox I and PADI Dry Suit...I hoping to go all the way and get a PADI Instructor cert... anyway some of my other hobbies include photography and the Lindyhop... enough for now...
Stay Hep
Tom

It has been nice reading everyone elses' posts and learning about the people behind the key boards. I am fairly new to this board, at least officially, I have been a bystander for about a year. My name is MaryAnn, but people who know me well call me Mare. Mare-from-the-sea is the name I use on my artwork, or at least my attempt at art...although I just got my first retail agreement with a shop in Florida...Yeah! I'm an ex critical care RN who now does work on the AR side of healthcare. I've been out of work for four months now (first time in my entire life!), but I start a new position next month! Another yeah! Blessed with one really handsome, inside and out, grown son who models/acts. He has been away from home for a few years. I am dating, after recently becoming single/debuddied under and on top of the water. Diving for four years, I have my advanced, nitrox and rebreather certs. I moved from NoCal to SoCal a few years ago but have always missed the Bay Area. I hate cold water and am seriously contemplating moving to Florida sometime in January.... If I had warm water opportunities, I would be diving everyday and probably get a DM cert and possibly instructor...

Fascinating to learn about the diversity of people attracted to diving... ok, here goes mine:

began diving in 1976 (16 years old), in 1977 made my first cavern dive and was immediately hooked on the overhead environment...became a PADI Instructor in 1979 and an NSS/CDS Instructor in 1980. My real name is Shannon and I live just north of Tampa, FL.

Lived in Belize during the early 80's, teaching diving and doing some cave exploration as well.

I am married to my 2nd husband (also a cave diver and PADI Instructor) have a 19 year old son from my first marriage, he is also a diver, currently working toward becoming an Instructor, and ready to begin his formal cave diving training.

I am lucky and grateful to have remained good friends with my ex-husband and his wife, both also Cave Instructors, and the entire family have enjoyed diving vacations together.

Love u/w photography, all kinds of diving, gardening, herbs, and travel. Currently work in a law firm, hoping to negotiate another week's vacation from the boss for next year, so I can do more diving.

Glad to "meet" all of you...

Okay guys, here goes......
I put an intro on the board a few days ago, but this is pretty cool. Quite the group here.
I'm Beck and I'm an alcoholic. NoNoNo, just kidding.
Started diving about 10 years ago, got certified in Maine, both OW and AOW, and did a drysuit course in Vermont a coule years ago, but haven't done much coldwater diving since. Shame on me, right? Well that might change as I'll be living on the New Hampshire seacoast till at least March! An old boyfriend got me into diving, which is the only great thing that came out of that relationship. Had a couple husbands (no not at the same time!) but haven't for several years, would love to find a 'normal kinda guy' who dives and has an open agenda. I'm nearly 49 (on New Years Eve!!!) and currently work as a travel nurse, my speciality being ER.
I've had the great good fortune to dive in some pretty cool places over the past few years. Turks and Caicos, Hawaii, Belize, Cozumel, Micronesia, both Pohnpei and Palau, the Philippines, St. Croix, Malaysia, and most recently the Red Sea. I worked on research projects in the Philippines and Malaysia surveying the reefs in different areas around the country with a conservation group (www.coralcay.org) which was a pretty cool way to get to dive in places where not everyone is able to go. Hard work, but lots of fun. I also spent a few months doing research in the rainforests in those countries as well, which was an amazing experience as well!
When I'm not diving and traveling one of my favorite things to do is volunteer at the local animal shelter, hanging out with the dogs. Gotta get my doggie fix, since it's not really practical for me to have a dog with my lifestyle. I'm also getting back into photography and I love sailing!
I think this SCUBA board is pretty neat, and I'm glad to be a new member of the 'family'. And now I've gotta post like crazy cuz I want one of those cool little thingies under my name!!!
Happy diving to all of you,
Beck

Reading all the diverse lifestyles and experiences of everyone else on this board is just fascinating. I got started and just couldn't stop. It made me--just a lurker--want to jump in too. Here goes:

My name is Jeff and I live in Memphis, TN. Twice divorced, 45 years old, 18 yr old daughter and one very cranky cat living with me. Both view me primarily as a source of food, money, and the guy who cleans the litter box. Work as a computer systems manager. When not at work and not around water I can be found golfing, working out, or maybe just sitting with friends chugging a beer.

Around water it's boating, swimming, and especially diving. Sadly, daughter is not a water person and has vowed never to be one. Cranky Cat doesn't seem to care for it either. I'm certified as a PADI DM. My last SO was RD and we did lots of travelling together. Used to go on 4-5 trips every year. Now that SO status has changed I'm pretty much buddy-less for diving and travel (hard to find buddies in such a land-locked area). Hopefully, that'll change soon cuz I'm dying for a dive trip. It's getting cold here and that's my signal for heading to the ocean !

BTW, even though I've just been lurking I've got to say this board has some really great folks. On other boards, newcomers can really get hammered and made to feel unwelcome. Not so with SB. That's really nice to see.

I thought i was one that wouldnt follow the crowd and beat my own drum, but look at me now :) just one of the many Posters here on this thread. which looks alot like a seinfeld eposode now! I live in SW Arkansas and what I like about SW Arkansas diving is there is no jelly fish and thats about it. the rest of my info is on my profile. Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom