No such thing as a Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charge hose, turn handwheel off, jump in, recharge hose when doing bubble-check, turn off again, dive.

That’s another reason to mount the bailout valve-down when back-mounted to a valve-up single. My primary reason for mounting bailouts that way is impact protection. It is possible to damage the top or bottom of your rig through impact (bottom of the boat, ladder or on a wreck), but it is far less likely to happen to the top and bottom of the rig on the same dive.

I can mount a 19 Ft³ bailout high enough so the bottom is flush with the top of the primary cylinder and regulator, providing a little protection there as well. I'm sort so everyone may not be able to reach the bailout valve when mounted that high but it works for me.

I have had pony reg problems that could have resulted in fairly large losses of gas.

Fairly elegant solution:

slidechk.png

Charge hose, turn handwheel off, jump in, recharge hose when doing bubble-check, turn off again, dive.

Again, personaly, I prefer to have my pony ready to go without any falderal. You are perfectly free to do whatever floats your boat. You ain't going to convince me to turn my pony valve off. Been diving too long and this config is perfect for me.

I'm with Dopp on this one. I've seen a diver deploy their pony only to find it drained. They blamed it on a current and never saw a bubble.

Clearly the diver's call. If unable to easily reach and operate the valve, then it is not really a choice. But if that is not the case, then why? Unfortunately, one reason why is the diver is so apprehensive about the idea of experiencing an OOA that even a few seconds delay is unthinkable. That kind of irrational behavior suggests a diver prone to panic if things go bad.

... I can mount a 19 Ft³ bailout high enough so the bottom is flush with the top of the primary cylinder and regulator, providing a little protection there as well. I'm sort so everyone may not be able to reach the bailout valve when mounted that high but it works for me.

Yep, you have a commercial diving background! LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom