No weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've already asked this question in another thread but hoping for a more detailed explanation/recommendation.
Is it a bad/good idea to ditch my 6lb weight belt in favour of mounting the weights to my tank straps?
How does this affect participation in DM course/Instructors if at all??
Cheers
-Mike

I don't know what type of BCD you are using, so I can not comment on good or bad. I have a 6lb backplate that distributes the weight nicely and keeps that off a belt.

PADI DM and instructor courses have 2 demonstration skills:

* Remove and replace weight system on the surface
* Remove and replace weight system underwater

You may need to add a weight belt to demonstrate those skills.

So I've already asked this question in another thread but hoping for a more detailed explanation/recommendation.
Is it a bad/good idea to ditch my 6lb weight belt in favour of mounting the weights to my tank straps?

Not at all.

How does this affect participation in DM course/Instructors if at all??
Cheers
-Mike

The likelihood is that students will be using weight belts. So it's best to alter your rig slightly when in those situations. As Sevenrider rightly pointed out it says that you only need to remove and replace the weight system. On the surface this can be accomplished by simply removing and replacing the BCD . But that won't really help your students.

How much weight do you dive with? The most important function of the weight system is the quick release function (besides keeping you down :rofl3:). If you only dive with 6lbs (maybe you dive warm freshwater? :idk:) then it is a bad idea to keep all your weight on your tank unless you have a way to ditch it (God forbid you ever had to).

Like all these guys are saying, yes you do need to remove and replace weights as part of the DM skills. Actually for my IE, I had most of my weight in my BC pockets and I only had a 5lb weight on my weight belt...very easy to control and manipulate weight and my examiner didnt mind at all. Hope that helps you!

Take my advice as newly certified OW diver :wink:

If you are diving dry, then you can transfer the weight from the belt to your tank / backplate and still be able to ascend if your BC catastrophically fails at maximal depth at the beginning of your dive. However, if you are diving wet and your BC fails in these conditions you probably won't be able to ascend without ditching your whole rig, something that you really don't want to do.

Assuming a diver can pull up around 16pounds of weight without a BC, you can calculate how negative you will be in the worst case and then decide if it's a good idea to fix your weight to the tank.

Im diving in warmish waters (never gets below 19celcius) with a single tank bp/w long hose setup. Al plate, 30lb wing and i carry 6lb on a weight belt while diving in a 5mm.
I can comfortably swim with my weight if my bc fails. In regards to being able to ditch my weight i dont really see any situation where this would be beneficial, but more of a very last case holy crap eerything has failed and a shark bit one of my legs of situation, hence why im asking if it is ok to have that 6lb on my tank as non ditchable.
I dont have a problem wearing on if i have to for the dm course although it is a pain to remove and re-don with the crotch strap, but for this particular excercise id just have my weight belt on the outside.

Im diving in warmish waters (never gets below 19celcius) with a single tank bp/w long hose setup. Al plate, 30lb wing and i carry 6lb on a weight belt while diving in a 5mm.

I dive that rig and I take 5 kilos to get down. You only need 2.7kg to get down in 5mm?? :confused: Steel or Ally tanks?

I have a similar problem. I'm getting my first BP/W and deciding whether to go for a steel or aluminum plate...
Since you already have everything, you could descend to 30m with your heaviest tank full, completely empty your BC and try to swim up. If you can comfortably ascend, then you could safely transfer the weight to your tank.

Steel tank and ally plate . Im only small! (5ft7 and 66kg).

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

I have a similar problem. I'm getting my first BP/W and deciding whether to go for a steel or aluminum plate...
Since you already have everything, you could descend to 30m with your heaviest tank full, completely empty your BC and try to swim up. If you can comfortably ascend, then you could safely transfer the weight to your tank.

Good idea. Will try this on the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom