Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So,

How do folks feel about non GUE trained DIR divers? It looks like at least NAUI is getting on the bandwagon. Will the GUE Tech divers be able to do dives with the NAUI Tech divers? Will they want to? Do we think that as time goes on, the systems (from agency to agency) will slowly morph away from each other? It seems that at least one NAUI instructor has made modifications to some of the DIR systems.

Let's try to keep this a bit on topic and FLAME FREE.

If you post to this thread and have ANY affiliation with any training agency or instructors, please state it.

Thanks,

Mark

The rumor is that the former GUE training director is going to crossover to NAUI.

"GUE's Quality Control Board unanimously determined that
there was sufficient reason to conclude that Andrew Georgitsis' conduct was
often unprofessional and did not promote the best interests of GUE. As a
result, the five members of this Board unanimously voted that his GUE
membership not be renewed. As a result Andrew Georgitsis will no longer be
sanctioned to teach GUE classes."

Letter to GUE members from GUE VP and Director of Quality Control regarding Andrew Georgitsis no longer being sanctioned to teach GUE classes.

GUE is an agency that teaches a style, DIR. DIR is not exclusively limited to GUE, though GUE and the WKPP define what DIR is.

Post-fundies, my training was done under NAUI Tech by a WKPP gas diver. I tend to consider myself DIR-lite because I know I deviate (intentionally) from a few of the procedures taught by GUE.

BTW, the idea that DIR divers cannot dive with non-GUE people is absurd. I am very picky about who I dive with, and all my buddies are like-minded and some, but not all of us are GUE trained. Being on the same page is what is important, not what agency did your training.

Scott, aren't you affiliated with AG?

Mark

I thought that someone told me you were on the X-Scooter Demo team? Sorry if I was confused.

Mark

Soggy:
BTW, the idea that DIR divers cannot dive with non-GUE people is absurd. I am very picky about who I dive with, and all my buddies are like-minded and some, but not all of us are GUE trained. Being on the same page is what is important, not what agency did your training.

I don't think so. Yes, DIR divers are more likekly dive with only DIR divers. I don't say "CAN'T", but they won't..... Maybe, you are the same due to DIR like-minded.

Sure, nobody can't say what you should do because it is totally your decision, but most non DIR divers have the same feeling about that matter.

Charlie99:
The rumor is that the former GUE training director is going to crossover to NAUI.

I don't know AG personally. I don't know what kind of politics, including the scooter war, GUE has right now. Most non-DIR divers don't care.... But, based on the rumor that he can move to NAUI, if it will be ture story, it is so funny to hear it because if then, now what?... NAUI is the emergency shelter or flunk agency.... He must have been one of core members who have a exclusive-mindedness to other agencies and its teaching curriculum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom