NOOB (at freediving) JUST THOUGHTS WANTED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FourKings

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

So a couple of summers ago I met a champion freediver (Specifically, Yehia of the Egyptian team).

He told me about how after training, a first time diver can go down 70m.

I have tried holding my breath for quite a long time before; and even when snorkeling too.

What I am wondering are two things:

A) To become really good at freediving, is formal training required?

B) What exactly takes a person from being an average ability at holding one's breath (aka, a minute thirty TOPS), to a lot longer? Physical transformation? Psychological? I just don't understand how a person can hold their breath for that long. At all.

Any help would be appreciated! I am very interested in the sport, as I enjoy snorkeling yet cannot breach the "barrier" that freedivers can that allow them to dive for extended periods of time. Don't understand how!

Thanks again,

hello fourkings.. idaho.. that's got to be like trying to freediving in the dakotas..
A. really good at freediving.. if really good is a 70meter dive like Yehia mentioned, unless you are blessed beyond most all, you'll need some formal training and some great support. To make a 70 foot dive for 2 minutes (you can do a 70' drop and return in about 45-50 seconds), you could achieve this with some weekend training with someone very well versed in the field of freediivng. You would not want to be attempting this on your own or with a novice buddy, but with someone very familiar with the safety protocols of freediving.

B. average ability of holding your breath to a lot longer is at the beginning, psychological for sure. a 3 minute breath hold is fairly easy to achieve, once you realize that the strong urge to save your life and breath is something that is instilled in you and something that can be overcome with a small amount of training. The burning sensation that you've no doubt had as a beginner, where your lungs feel like they are on fire.. is a short time away from being put out with a little training on your own. You can get beyond it.. it's like any sport though, and that takes a little practice. I know people that have moved on beyond 4 mintues, even 5, and I'm sure there are many more, without formal training but they had knowledge of what training was needed.

just be careful.., please don't train in the water without someone with the knowledge of what can happen and how to be safe while freediving. I have seen how quickly pushing some limits, or not even, can cause a serious problem.

If by training you mean getting into an exercise routine and do your static tables you may not need to do this. To be safe even attempting to dive to 70 feet, much less 70 meters, you need course work that include pool and open water work. People die holding their breaths in a pool. A lot more can happen the deeper you go. Even going to 70 feet entails a lot more than just holding your breath. You need good technique, the ability to equalize the pressure in your ears, sinuses, and mask, and the pschological confidence that you can make it back to the surface safely. And that comes from knowing you have a buddy watching you that knows how to handle any situation that could go wrong.

Remember, 70 meters is over 200 feet deep. That's deeper than most scuba divers ever go. Don't take it casually.

JB

So does anyone know how to pschologicaly get over it. So that you stay down longer..And what are other ways to hold your breath for a while..( I dont mean to butt in you foum)..But it seems like we are having the same problems..Thanks

Kyle

to get over the psych in the early stages of learning to freedive, one helpful thing is to look at the numbers.. as a beginner, 30' down without tanks might seem daunting.. but the numbers will show you that it shouldn't be. With a good surface dive, good swimming/finning technique, all of which translate to an efficient dive, a turn around 30' dive will only take about 20 seconds.. so, it's not about holding your breath, it's all about being comfortable with the water and being able to equalize quickly and efficiently (read, learn the frenzel or similar, forget the valsalva).. the numbers could read on a 30' dive, early in the training.. 10 seconds or so to get to depth, 10 seconds bottom time, and 10 seconds to return. Definetly not about being able to hold your breath and definetly not into a "jeez, I'm gonna run outta air and die" situation. And think about this, later in training.. a 100' turn around dive takes only slightly over a minute (average maybe), but here, you are going a good distance while working your muscles, using up your oxygen, etc. but still, fairly easily attained with good technique and the ability to relax and be comfortable with your abilities and your surrounding.
NOW, don't do any of the above without someone versed well in the safety protocols of freediving. Things can happen quickly (read, passing out) with no warning and for apparently no reasons.

Just having a well trained buddy watching over you helps a lot psychologicly. Knowing that nothing bad will happen to you on a dive really helps relax you and let yourself test your limits. Conversely, if you're unsure that your buddy knows how rescue you if something goes wrong then you're much more likely to be tense and unable to dive well.

Knowing the physiology of freediving also helps a lot. Knowing what happens to your lungs and heart as you hold your breath and dive will keep the sensations that happen throughout a dive from surprising and then frightening you.

Probably most important is just feeling comfortable in the water. Just get out there a lot.

JB

you will need alot of training to attempt deeper dives there are breathing exercises, usally a moment of relaxation before the dive and some do hyperventilation to release all of the co2 out of your body, co2 in your blood is what tells your brain you need to take a breath so if you release as much as you can youll be able to hold your breath for longer..... but its also very dangerous and a good way to hurt yourself i personally dont recomend it, and theres also ways of packing extra air in your body using your respatory muscles. there is alot of training involved im working on freediving also and ive improved alot with the training but also remember to have a pro with you its not that difficult to push yourself to the limits under water and black out so practice on land first and remember 3 minutes of holding your breath on your couch is going to last you maybe 1 or 2 in water because your muscles will be using alot of oxygen up

So does anyone know how to psychologicaly get over it. So that you stay down longer..And what are other ways to hold your breath for a while...

Kyle

Just be sure that you know what it is that you are trying to psychologically get over. You can psychologically get over diaphramatic contractions safely... in fact they do not mean that you need oxygen. You don't want to attempt to psychologically get over symptoms of hypoxia because that is an indicator that you are approaching a blackout.

Hello,

So a couple of summers ago I met a champion freediver (Specifically, Yehia of the Egyptian team).

He told me about how after training, a first time diver can go down 70m.

I have tried holding my breath for quite a long time before; and even when snorkeling too.

What I am wondering are two things:

A) To become really good at freediving, is formal training required?

B) What exactly takes a person from being an average ability at holding one's breath (aka, a minute thirty TOPS), to a lot longer? Physical transformation? Psychological? I just don't understand how a person can hold their breath for that long. At all.

Any help would be appreciated! I am very interested in the sport, as I enjoy snorkeling yet cannot breach the "barrier" that freedivers can that allow them to dive for extended periods of time. Don't understand how!

Thanks again,

They have secret ways!

Hint: it involves oxygen bottles. Lots of oxygen bottles. And resting.

You cannot try this safely on your own however, because you need a team of safety divers watching you constantly.

Did you see the movie yet? Its out on DVD in most places. Forgot the title.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom